UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SQL Data Updates, Any Versions    

meyert
post May 27 2020, 06:45 AM
Post#1

Hello again,

My contact in IT is out this week, so I have not been able to reach her. I can't even get started and I don't know if the problem is me, the SQL server or access. I bet someone here knows the answer

I started to build queries in the file and I found out that I am not able to update any data. I can't delete records add new records in or even change a value in an existing field

Is this a setting in Access? Or is there a trick with SQL that I don't know? or do you think the SQL link just is not set up to edit the data?
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post May 27 2020, 07:05 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Moderator

Hi,

It sounds as if you are a read-only user, but just in case, please will you post an example of your INSERT and UPDATE queries (SQL).

Also, how are you executing the queries?

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

Jeff B.
post May 27 2020, 07:37 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I ran into a similar situation during a conversion from Access-only to Access-using-SQL-Server. Turned out the SQL DBA hadn't given me/the front-end the permissions in SQL needed to modify the SQL tables...

Good luck!

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

meyert
post May 27 2020, 08:01 AM
Post#4

thanks I will ask that question. Maybe the set up/link needs tweaked

Jeff B. - - I deleted my queries... but even if I go to the table direct and try to add a record, delete a record or just change a value in a field -- I can't do it

GroverParkGeorge
post May 27 2020, 08:16 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

When you link SQL Server tables to Access, you MUST identify the Primary Key for each table, or a unique qualifier for a view. If you don't do that, the tables are not updateable from Access.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

nvogel
post May 27 2020, 09:32 AM
Post#6

Hi meyert,

Did you try your updates within SQL Server Management Studio first? Did you get a specific SQL Server error message? Management Studio is the best way to develop and test your SQL Server code. You can download it here if you don't already have it installed:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SQL/ssms/d...ent-studio-ssms

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    9th July 2020 - 01:30 PM