UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Show Query Results In Subform When Fields Vary, Access 2013    

tina t
post Nov 12 2019, 02:47 PM
Post#21

Up until recently I only had one user in at a time, but now there might be 2, so still not huge numbers, but as you suggest it's probably time to start thinking of splitting it to be front end/back end.

i normally split every database i build, even if it is just a single-user db that i'm using at home on my one-and-only PC. it's just safer, IMHO, to separate the data from the user interface. and i definitely will always split a db that will reside on a server at work, putting the FE on the user PC - even if it's only one user and one PC.

as soon as you entertain the thought of more than one user, i'd say it's absolutely time to split the db if it's not split already. and be sure that each user has their own copy of the FE db.

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"
Go to the top of the page

AshJT
post Nov 13 2019, 06:13 AM
Post#22

That's sound advice, but the problem in this instance is that I would need to periodically add new tables to the back end which would then need to be linked.

I could get the front ends to check for new tables in the back end and then link as required on start up or something I suppose...

tina t
post Nov 13 2019, 02:44 PM
Post#23

but the problem in this instance is that I would need to periodically add new tables to the back end which would then need to be linked.

i'd say that's a small inconvenience when compared to the risk involved in having multiple users sharing a monolithic database. imho.

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2019 - 01:59 PM