UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Auto Populate Based On Drop-down Selection, Office 2013    

Sotolin
post Aug 19 2019, 04:36 PM
Post#1

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a work document in which I have 3 or 4 different dropdowns.

I'm being asked to add a section at the bottom of the document depending on what you select. For example, in the dropdown you have the following options:

Yes
No
Maybe
Not Applicable

I need to be able to show a paragraph in a box below depending on the answer. Each paragraph is different so the dropdown is driving what is seeing on the document.

Is this possible? or is this something I should just try in Excel? I know I can do it in access but the people that will be using it don't have it.

Thanks,
Luis

Go to the top of the page

June7
post Aug 19 2019, 06:10 PM
Post#2

People could install Access Runtime then they can open Access db. Can't change design but can do data entry and output.

I've never tried programming behind Word but I think what you want should be possible.

This will probably require use of ActiveX controls and/or UserForm.

I just did a quick test with ActiveX combobox and textbox.

CODE
Private Sub ComboBox1_DropButtonClick()
ComboBox1.List = Array("A", "B", "C")
Select Case ComboBox1
    Case "A"
        TextBox1.Value = "This is for choice A"
    Case "B"
        TextBox1.Value = "This is for choice B"
    Case "C"
        TextBox1.Value = "This is for choice C"
End Select
End Sub

This post has been edited by June7: Aug 19 2019, 06:46 PM

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.
DEBUG! DEBUG! DEBUG! http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DebuggingVBA.aspx

Sotolin
post Aug 20 2019, 09:19 AM
Post#3

This just creates the dropdown, which I don't have a problem creating... what I don't know and this is because I'm new to vba, is how to select something out of the box and then have a paragraph show in a different section of the word document.

Think of it like this.

In Excel, I can create a reference to a cell and go to the botttom of the spreadsheet and say =A1 that will bring the data in cell A1 to whetever I'm in the spreadsheet.

The challenge is in word. I have a dropdown at the top of the file selecting the type of contract that is needed. I need at the bottom of the page to show a definition of that contract. So if I have 4 different contracts, I need to be able to see a different paragraph for each depending on what I select. For example, for contract A I will need definition A, for B the definition for B, and so on.

Does that makes sense?

Thanks,
Luis

Sotolin
post Aug 20 2019, 09:47 AM
Post#4

This just creates the dropdown, which I don't have a problem creating... what I don't know and this is because I'm new to vba, is how to select something out of the box and then have a paragraph show in a different section of the word document.

Think of it like this.

In Excel, I can create a reference to a cell and go to the botttom of the spreadsheet and say =A1 that will bring the data in cell A1 to whetever I'm in the spreadsheet.

The challenge is in word. I have a dropdown at the top of the file selecting the type of contract that is needed. I need at the bottom of the page to show a definition of that contract. So if I have 4 different contracts, I need to be able to see a different paragraph for each depending on what I select. For example, for contract A I will need definition A, for B the definition for B, and so on.

The way I see it is kind of like an IF statement. If I select A then "AAAA" or if if I select B then "BBBB", etx

Does that makes sense?

Thanks,
Luis

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2019 - 09:31 PM