UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Printing Numbered Tags, Access 2010    

stevep
post Feb 12 2020, 08:23 PM
Post#1

I am probably overthinking this so I thought I would ask here.

I have developed a simple one page report that the warehouse uses for shipping tags. The hard part is to print XX pages with tags "Skid 1 of 9", "Skid 2 of 9" to "skid 9 of 9"

The number of tags is entered by the user via an inputbox as part of the report generation (9 in this case)

Just to be clear, I am not looking for 9 identical pages (9 copies) I am looking at 9 identical tags except for the skid numbering as above.

I have been practicing with unjoined tables with the number of records = the number of pages but that strikes me as excessively complicated. Does anyone else print reports like this and how do they do it? I assume it will be related to page numbering but I am not sure how to trick it into printing 9 pages.

An incredibly primitive example is attached. The user would fill in the skids and cases, then pick the invoice from the drop down list.
This post has been edited by stevep: Feb 12 2020, 08:47 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  SkidReport.zip ( 32.47K )Number of downloads: 5

Go to the top of the page

orange999
post Feb 12 2020, 08:46 PM
Post#2

Can you supply a png/jpg of a Tag and all of the contents? A concrete example of what you are dealing with would be helpful to readers and provide some context.
How do you determine the number of skids required for XXX? Perhaps you could lead us through the process.

--------------------
Good luck with your project!

RJD
post Feb 12 2020, 08:58 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Hi: Like Orange, I am a bit fuzzy on the requirement. But to help us along, I created an demo db. Open the report, and use 9 when prompted for tags and 123 when prompted for the item. See if this is close to what you want, or explain how this should be modified to meet your requirements.

Just a starting point for us to help you ...

HTH
Joe
Attached File(s)
Attached File  PrintingNumberedTags.zip ( 21.65K )Number of downloads: 2

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

projecttoday
post Feb 12 2020, 09:06 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I would say no, you wouldn't ordinarily use pages of a report to identify data. That's sort of like the tail wagging the dog. You should identify your data by the values in its columns.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

BentBrain
post Feb 12 2020, 10:50 PM
Post#5

HI Steve.

You sound like your looking for something like this where you print number of labels based on another field.
Take alook at this post that might help you cycle through your records

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-39.html
Print a Quantity of a Label
Need several labels for the same record? This tip works for a fixed number of labels (e.g. a whole sheet for each client), or a variable number (where the quantity is in a field)

Let me know if that helped.

BentBrain

--------------------
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" Francis Bacon

stevep
post Feb 13 2020, 05:30 AM
Post#6

I should have attached my example with the first post and saved some confusion.

It shows that for any sitting, it is a single record, 1 invoice number as selected from a drop down list. In reality, this invoice could contain any number of skids and I don't even try to compute the number. The user just enters the number it ended up being, then I wanted it to print that many tags.

The fudge I am looking at creates XX records in a temp table, then prints that many records, one per page and I rename the "Page 1 of 5" to be "Skid 1 of 5". Or, during generation of the temp table, there could be a SKIDNUMBER and TOTSKIDS column which then prints on the reports. But that seemed excessive.

Right now, all the other data comes from the ERP system which I cannot change, just report against. There is only 1 ERP record (the invoice) in play for this report.

Right now, the users create the first page in Word, then copy and paste XX times then edit. They save each customer address as a separate Word file for next time (dozens and dozens). I initially got involved because they wanted a way to look through the 100+ Word files for the address they wanted. They have nowhere to go but up:)

projecttoday
post Feb 13 2020, 06:42 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

You attached an example to your first post. It got there before I saw it. And I downloaded it. Yes, it is very simple.

Some response to the various suggestions would have been helpful. Anyway, you want to print a specified number of skids? These data come from an ERP? Which one? Can we assume that once you've printed a skid, you don't want it in the next batch to print? Is this what we're talking about here? How can each skid be identified so that doesn't happen? How do page numbers fit in? (Or not.) Can you make a report for all the skids and then print pages 1 to 9 then pages 10 to 18, etc.?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

stevep
post Feb 13 2020, 09:09 AM
Post#8

Hmm, I don't know how to quote replies but the solution by RJD is very similar to what I was thinking, that is, an unjoined table.

I see he has improved on my thinking by having a static (not temporary) tag table that might have a fixed high number like 50 and having the query limit to the number the user entered. So, no table creation on the fly like I was thinking. This is a solution that will work for me.

I just thought there was some way into tricking the page numbering into doing this. Something like telling the report it is 9 pages instead of 1 and then letting it generate the page footers 1 of 9, etc

stevep
post Feb 13 2020, 09:13 AM
Post#9

BentBrain, just looked now at your link to the Allen Browne site. I see that is the same concept as RJD suggested and that works for me.

stevep
post Feb 13 2020, 09:14 AM
Post#10

Thanks for all the replies. I typed the question from home just before going to bed, sorry about the delays in replying. I did not expect responses so quickly.

RJD
post Feb 13 2020, 01:43 PM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

You are very welcome, from all of us.

There is no way that I am aware of to simply set an option in the report to do what you require. The usual way is to use the sequence table in a Cartesian product query, with criteria, as we suggested.

Do you have this solved now, or can we be of further assistance?

Regards
Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

stevep
post Feb 13 2020, 03:52 PM
Post#12

It is solved and I am already deploying the solution. I see it will have other applications as well.

RJD
post Feb 13 2020, 06:03 PM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

thumbup.gif

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    26th February 2020 - 02:23 PM