UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Open Form Based On Cbo    

Aakburns
post Feb 5 2020, 04:35 PM
Post#1

I have a dataview sheet that I use here. One of the columns in the table give 3 options to choose from in a combo box. When you double click on the 'Job_ID' it opens a form to edit the fields for this the selected job. This opens based on the job_id in the row.

What I need is the 'Job Type' depending on what is selected in the 3 options to open between 3 different forms when double clicking the job_id.
Currently I just use an expression to open a form for all 3, but it opens the same form. Is there a simple way in VBA to go about getting this to refence the Job Type combo box to open the correct form?
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Annotation_2020_02_05_153050.png ( 11.99K )Number of downloads: 8
Attached File  Annotation_2020_02_05_153501.png ( 9.42K )Number of downloads: 5

Go to the top of the page

BentBrain
post Feb 7 2020, 12:59 AM
Post#2

Hi Aakburns
Yes, you can do want you want by using an DblClick event procedure instead of a macro

try this with - just need to look at what your Job Type cbo field is based on. text or int. This will change the syntax below.

Private sub Dblclick_FindJobID
If IsNull(Me.JobID) Then Exit sub
DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_update job information", , , "[JobID]=" & Me.listbox & " and [JobTypeID]=" & me.listbox.Column(5)

End Sub

Also watch for spaces in your form names.

Let me know if this helps

Regards
BentBrain

--------------------
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" Francis Bacon

Aakburns
post Feb 7 2020, 02:56 PM
Post#3

Do I need a line for each job type of the 'DoCmd" command?

I am also just using row source with names typed in for the property, not a table with a list of job types.

What does 'me.listbox' refer to here? Or what should field should I be changing that to instead of what you put here?

I'm obviously doing something wrong here, but here's my code and the error.
CODE
Private Sub Job_ID_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
If IsNull(Me.Job_ID) Then Exit Sub
DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_update job information", , , "[JobID]=" & Me.JobType & " and [JobType]=" & Me.JobType.Column(1)
End Sub

This post has been edited by Aakburns: Feb 7 2020, 03:04 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Annotation_2020_02_07_135559.png ( 14.33K )Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  Annotation_2020_02_07_140325.png ( 7.44K )Number of downloads: 0

BentBrain
post Feb 8 2020, 04:19 AM
Post#4

HI Aakburns

Based on what you have said,

I made a sample form with dlb click event to show you how to select different forms based on the job type.
I have also done a linked cbo box with table as proper example for database normalization.

Take a look and see if this help you to understand

Regards
BentBrain.

--------------------
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" Francis Bacon

Aakburns
post Feb 11 2020, 11:29 AM
Post#5

Hi BentBrain, I was out of town for the weekend and Monday, was there supposed to be an attachment here? I appreciate your help in this.

BentBrain
post Feb 11 2020, 07:40 PM
Post#6

Sorry here is the attachment
This post has been edited by BentBrain: Feb 11 2020, 07:41 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  open_example.zip ( 38.62K )Number of downloads: 2

--------------------

Aakburns
post Feb 12 2020, 11:44 AM
Post#7

Thank you so much. I'm not using a table as you are. So I'm trying to do this a little different using the rowsource for this cbo field.

I used separate lines of code but it opens all the forms in the code rather than just based on the cbo name. How can I modify this to just open one form for each? Or do I have to do it with a table?

DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_update job information", , , "[Job_ID]=" & Me.Job_ID & " and [JobType]=" & JobType.RowSourceType = "Parking Structure"
DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_Add new job_paint", , , "[Job_ID]=" & Me.Job_ID & " and [JobType]=" & JobType.RowSourceType = "Truck Washing"
End Sub

This post has been edited by Aakburns: Feb 12 2020, 11:47 AM

Aakburns
post Feb 12 2020, 12:59 PM
Post#8

I also want to be clear here. The sample project you sent is fantastic and absolutely works, I replicated it in a copy of my database. I thank you for this, it's a solid solution after it's setup. Still curious if row source with names was possible to get this done.

BentBrain
post Feb 12 2020, 08:37 PM
Post#9

Great to hear, Yes you can just use the case statement and alter it to use your JobType Text.

Select Case Me.JobTypeID

Case 1 'if case 1 Truck washing then open this form
DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_update job information-Truck washing", , , "[JobID]=" & Me.JobType = "Truck Washing"

Case 2 'if case 1 Miscellaneous then open this form
DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_update job information-Miscellaneous", , , "[JobID]=" & Me.JobType = "Miscellaneous"

Case 3 'if case 1 Parking Structure then open this form
DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_update job information-Parking Structure", , , "[JobID]=" & Me.JobType = "Parking Structure"

End Select

End Sub

--------------------

BentBrain
post Feb 12 2020, 10:39 PM
Post#10

Hi Aakburn
Sorry i had some mistakes on that last post. Change the code to this

Select Case Me.JobType ' CHANGE HERE to text field not ID field

Case 1 'if case 1 Truck washing then open this form
DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_update job information-Truck washing", , , "[JobID]=" & Me.Job_ID & Me.JobType = "Truck Washing"

etc.....

Enjoy BB

--------------------

Aakburns
post Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Post#11

Fantastic stuff, thanks for all your help, everything works great. I definitely got some better understanding about things from all of this.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th February 2020 - 01:05 AM