UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Terminal Services Server 2016 Unrecognized Format, Access 2013    

KantWin
post Nov 5 2019, 08:05 PM
Post#1

Good evening,

I have a potential customer that is interested in a database, but there are some challenges.
Background -
I make an accde using Windows 7, Office 2013. It's a split database.
I use late binding on a few references, and those work with Windows 8 and Windows 10 without issue.
The potential customer is using Windows Server 2016, Office 2013.
His users are all over the state, and would log in using Windows Terminal Services.
In his testing, when he opens the front end accde, he gets the message "This database is in an unrecognized format."

Any ideas?
This post has been edited by KantWin: Nov 5 2019, 08:06 PM

--------------------
KantWin
Go to the top of the page

AlbertKallal
post Nov 5 2019, 11:57 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Best guess?
They installed the x64 bit version of the access runtime. Have them un-install the Access runtime, and make sure they install the x32 bit version.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

DanielPineault
post Nov 6 2019, 03:50 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

There's also a known bug caused by Windows 10 whose end result is the "...Unrecognized Format...". you can learn more at http://www.devhut.net/2018/06/13/access-bu...ognized-format/

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

KantWin
post Nov 6 2019, 06:57 AM
Post#4

Not the 64 bit version. That was one of my first thoughts.
Not Windows 10. I create the accede file in Windows 7. He has Windows Server 2016.
But - then again - Server 2016 is closely related to Windows 10 (1607) ...
I will look at that.

--------------------
KantWin

DanielPineault
post Nov 6 2019, 07:57 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

The issue with Windows 10 is if any users are running Windows 10, even just one of them.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

KantWin
post Nov 6 2019, 08:56 AM
Post#6

Daniel,

The database is on the server. It's accessed in a TS environment. Not via a mapped drive.
So if it's a Terminal Services environment, would that even be a consideration?

--------------------
KantWin

AlbertKallal
post Nov 8 2019, 11:39 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Then this suggest that the service pack level of the run-time might be different. As a quick test, try a accDB file - it will likely work.

For access 2010 runtime, and accDE you MUST install the runtime SP 2010 pack. Updates to windows (windows update) and even office update DOES NOT touch or update the 2010 runtime. The ONLY way to get your accDE to run correct is to specific install the 2010 runtime SP update.

Now, you are dealing with 2013. In this case (ie: after 2010) there is NOT a specific runtime SP update. The way you do this post 2010 is to re-download and re-install the 2013 runtime. They are assumed to be "updated" over time with the latest SP updates, and thus a re-install of the "after 2010" runtime is required.

So, it possible that you have windows updates turned off, and your accDE is stuck on a different SP version then what they are running. As noted, you can determine this rather quick by trying a accDB file for your from end as a 20 second test.

I would thus check for a 2013 office SP update, or ensure that windows update has updated your 2013 office version. Once the udpates are installed, then you can re-compile your accDB to a accDE. So the possibility of a miss-match between your version of SP updated office exists, and the version of the runtime.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

KantWin
post Nov 12 2019, 08:49 AM
Post#8

Hi, Albert.
He's not using the Runtime.
He has told me, and send a screenshot, of Office 2013 being installed on the Terminal Server.
I asked if it was up to date with patches and service packs.
He has not replied to that yet.

--------------------
KantWin

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2019 - 02:27 AM