UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intel Vs. Amd Comparison.. Please Help!    

Jinxer
post Mar 1 2010, 06:04 PM
Post#1

Hello, I am new to this board, and am in desperate need of some serious expertise. I am looking at a couple laptops to purchase.. and each laptop has most of what I want.. but they all have some perks better then the others and they all have 3 different Processors. What I am wanting is for someone to tell me how all 3 of these processors compare to each other in general speed and overal performance.
ntel Core 2 Duo P8700 (2.53GHz/3MB L2 Cache/1066MHz FSB)
AMD and AMD Turion II Ultra Dual Core Mobile processor M620 - 2.50 GHz, Up to 3.6 GT/s, 2 MB L2 Cache
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9000 (4x2.0GHz)
Now the first 2 are my MAIN contenders. For the main reason that I like the 2.5Ghz+ speed. But what I need to know is if the AMD 2.5 Ghz is gonna perform atleast as good as the Intel 2.53 Ghz. I tried to compare them on PASSMARK benchmark graph.. and it rates the Intel like 30 ranking spots higher... but thats where I get confused. If they are both 2.5Ghz.. then wont they both work the same? I was hoping someone could dumb this down for me comparing them on what I could expect.
And also while I have your attention, the 3rd one I listed is ranked ALOT higher on the list then the first 2 even tho its only 2.0 Ghz... and I have been told that if I am not gonna be do Huge Multi tasking that not all 4 of the Quad Processors will rarely be used. And that for running games, it really only looks at 1 Processor. So essentially if I am only playing one game and not doing much else I really wont be upgrading my speed, since I currently have a Duo Core 2.0Ghz. Am I understanding this correctly?
Ultimately the AMD machine really has all the stuff I want and the better price.. But since Intel is a much better known name, I am scared to invest in AMD without being informed that it will perform up to par and that it will be compatible with all my programs etc.. Please I hope there are some knowledgeable people that is willing to debate this with me and help me to compare those 2 Processors and help me to come to a conclusion of which one would be the best way to go.. Feel free to e-mail me for one on one help if ya want.. THANKS!
Go to the top of the page

vtd
post Mar 1 2010, 09:17 PM
Post#2

Retired Moderator

Raw performance as you tested:
1. Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9000 (4x2.0GHz)
2. Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 (2.53GHz/3MB L2 Cache/1066MHz FSB)
3. AMD and AMD Turion II Ultra Dual Core Mobile processor M620 - 2.50 GHz, Up to 3.6 GT/s, 2 MB L2 Cache
>>If they are both 2.5Ghz.. then wont they both work the same? <<
Nope... The performance (of the laptop as a whole) depends on a lot of other factors, e.g. the motherboard chipset, FSB speed, RAM speed, graphic card. In addition, at one stage, AMD used to use "equivalent" CPU clock speed and not real CPU clock speed in the CPU model name so the CPU clock speed in not a true indication of the CPU performance. In addition, Intel CPU is different from AMD CPU, of course.
>>I have been told that if I am not gonna be do Huge Multi tasking that not all 4 of the Quad Processors will rarely be used. <<
That's is probably true. Except for server software, most business applications use single CPU.
>>And that for running games, it really only looks at 1 Processor. So essentially if I am only playing one game and not doing much else I really wont be upgrading my speed, since I currently have a Duo Core 2.0Ghz. Am I understanding this correctly?<<
You still get some performance gains such as the FSB speed, RAM speed (more likely the new laptop uses DDR-3 and not DDR-2)... The more important part if you are into games is the graphic card, preferably one with dedicated memory, not shared memory. They all contribute to better performance as a whole.
>>Ultimately the AMD machine really has all the stuff I want and the better price.. But since Intel is a much better known name, I am scared to invest in AMD without being informed that it will perform up to par and that it will be compatible with all my programs etc.. <<
Do your own research for benchmarking results of the laptop models you are interested in, not CPU benchmarking results only, the specs of the laptops as a whole, consider the track records of the laptop manufacturers, the warranttee offerred and whether there is a local service centre. Finally decide on the best value-for-money model, not necessarily the cheapest.

Jinxer
post Mar 1 2010, 10:24 PM
Post#3

Well this is my Major Issue!!! I must not that great at finding this info.. I was really hoping that I could get some of these answers from repliers like your self. The only real research of benchmarks I could find came from the website PASSMARK.com. And they have a ranking system. The AMD 2.5 Ghz chip is ranked 228th but for example there is an Intel P7550 ranked 227th that is only a 2.26 Ghz. So does that mean the 2.26 will be faster? Or perform better? IF so HOW? I currently have a 2.0Ghz processor in my soon to be old laptop and want a noticable improvement.. so seems silly to only jump to 2.26 but according to the ranking system the 2.26 is higher then the AMD 2.5? It has been driving me nuts all week..
Can someone dumb this down for me? tongue.gif Will my AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core M620 processor truely give me 2.5 Ghz speed and performance? And I also have heard that AMD does better with gaming then Intel.. I only game and surf the net and watch movies.. I dont do spread sheets and editing and stuff..
Please as I said dumb this down for me so I know if I should get the AMD or stay clear.

vtd
post Mar 2 2010, 08:57 PM
Post#4

Retired Moderator

Like I wrote earlier, the raw benchmarking results of the CPUs (and the nominated speeds of the CPUs) are not the only criteria I use to judge / decide when I buy a new lap-top. The performance as a whole unit is much more important as far as I am concerned.
MHO, it is better to search the Web / magazines for previews and/or reviews of the lap-top models written by experts that have tested and considered all facets of the lap-tops then compare these to see which one is better. In some cases, there are comparative reviews between mode

Martijn
post Apr 24 2010, 06:44 PM
Post#5

Probably my reply is going to be late or not useful but maybe it can help.
I had more or less the same problem that you had.. old laptop died needed a new one.... Finaly bought a Sony VPCF Intel i7 Q720 1.6GHZ x4 /6GB/500GB/1GBnvidia card.
And it runs like a train. has a new thing called overboost to 4x 2.6GHZ if you really need the power else it just runs on 1.6GHZ Big screen 1920x1080 16,4" convenient when trying to build dbases etc.
Hope this helps you or other readers of this post

Masonryan
post Dec 24 2018, 07:38 AM
Post#6

Utterly Banned

Intel and AMD are very similar, but I think that Intel is designed for more work with graphics and photoshop and AMD is made for gaming purposes. But that's just my opinion. I had AMD for a really long time and it really impressed me with how smooth it made graphics look. I had Intel on my second PC that I used for Photoshop and other stuff that's related to video making. As I was saying, it did an amazing job of making the process of montaging a video in Sony Vegas really pleasant for me.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th May 2019 - 04:10 AM