UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
> Sharepoint List Limit, Azure & Peformance, Any Versions    

blueman2
post Mar 27 2020, 08:36 AM
Post#1

Hope everyone is well. My intention during this downtime in business was to move our sharepoint backend to Azure. I had been thinking about this for a few years as some of my lists were growing towards the 5000 record limit I had read about and a few years ago (1 or 2), I was experiencing some issues with performance.

The first thing I did was to go to Azure to see the cost after the 12 month free trial. I must have been looking at something else when I looked at this a year or so ago as now, the cost when the trial expires seems to be MUCH more expensive than I had originally thought. This translates to about $365/month for the minimum service. At anytime and certainly in these times, that is way too expensive and especially in comparison to sharepoint which is a fraction of that per month.

Attached File  Image_78.jpg ( 200.9K )Number of downloads: 9

Also, it seems like performance problems I had in the last two years are not showing themselves anymore, even though I've now exceeded the 5000 record limit on some lists.

I'm also reading, if I understand correctly, that the limit only has to do with updating massive amounts to tables and not actual day to day routine usage, forms, adding records, queries, reports (which is most of our needs).

I also now am finding out about creating flows etc which i can direct to sharepoint tables and see the results in the access desktop db without moving to a premium flow (now Power Automate) so there's some seamlessness now that I'd rather not give up, aside from the additional cost. I'm also wondering if the current version of SharePoint has fixed some of the performance limitations which were talked about a few years ago?

I would like to get this decision off my plate and either focus on moving the database backend or move on to other things. There may be other options out there less costly than Azure, but I'm wondering if I should take the attitude: "If it Aint Broke....".

If anyone has any thoughts on this or previous or similar experiences, please chime in.

Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th July 2020 - 10:42 AM