UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using A Calculated Control As A Group?, Access 2016    

jklinephd
post Aug 16 2019, 09:34 AM
Post#1

I have created a report. I want to group the data by a field on the report that is text. Unfortunately I do not want to group alphabetically. Can I create a calculated control (text box) on the report using embedded iifs that assigns a letter of the alphabet to each of the 4 options for my field and then Group by that calculated control?

Field I want to group by is "Findings" it has 4 options.

Calculated Control is a Text box on the report that assigns A, B, C, D to the 4 values in the Findings field (I created this and it works).

When I go to the Group, Sort, Total portion of the report design the calculated control does not show up as an option. Anyway to make that work?

I am in the process of adding it to the query that builds the report, but that has caused other problems. So I am looking at other solutions.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Aug 16 2019, 09:52 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. Two things:

1. To make the grouping show up in the list, you could try adding it as a calculated column in your query source for the report, or

2. Instead of selecting the calculated grouping from the list, you could select "expression" and repeat the calculated expression in the expression builder

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

jklinephd
post Aug 16 2019, 10:30 AM
Post#3

Thanks,

I think that worked. It worked, but I am still tweaking the report groupings to get the sort to work exactly right.

theDBguy
post Aug 16 2019, 10:35 AM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it to work. We're all always tweaking, we can't really stop. Good luck!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th September 2019 - 09:29 AM