UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Changing Windows Date Coaxed My Access Pawn App, Any Version    

FrankRuperto
post Jun 5 2020, 09:14 AM
Post#21

Most easily done by connecting to the internet! Sending you round in circles!

I connected my test PC to the internet and set windows to sync with a time server.
Then I changed windows date and the sync did not correct it.
Could it be that sync only happens once a week, as shown in the attached image?
Several users also refuse to leave their systems connected to the internet unless we tell them we need to remote.

We have some larger pawnshops that are conected to servers, but the smaller Mom&Pop pawnshops run the app on a single PC.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Jun 5 2020, 09:21 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  SyncTime.PNG ( 117.16K )Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post Jun 5 2020, 09:56 AM
Post#22

UtterAccess Moderator

>> Then I changed windows date and the sync did not correct it. <<

No, read what it says on the dialog in your screenshot - it updates on a scheduled basis. My guess is that it happens once a day.

I was thinking more in terms of DBG's suggestion but, as you have mentioned many times, it's not possible when you're air-gapped.

So, for those users who can connect to another machine, that might provide an avenue for you. For the others, ???

I'm surprised the user is able to change the time when you have an explicit Group Policy forbidding it. Are you sure it's implemented properly?

(I am not really too familiar with Group Policies in practice, I use Linux for day-to-day)

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

FrankRuperto
post Jun 5 2020, 11:35 AM
Post#23

I dug further to find out how often the time servers sync, or if there's a windows setting for adjusting the polling frequency, but couldn't find any specifics.
We market custom turnkey solutions, which includes hardware, software and support. So we manage everything including their hardware and OS.
Our users login accounts are non-administrative and we as administrators have restricted several things, including their ability to change Windows Date/Time.
I checked the audit in the event log and noticed the user somehow was able to elevate permission to administrator and changed windows date. This is very worrysome!
Setting windows to sync with a time server is useless if it frequently updates the correct the date/time.
A user can mock Date/Time, do whatever coaxing in app or elsewhere before sync occurs, and then set it back to the current Date/Time.
So be it, they know our agreement stipulates we're not liable if they make a change like that without first consulting with us and getting our approval.
If they mess it up, they will have to pay us to fix it, which is what happened in this case.

This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Jun 5 2020, 12:30 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  gpeditDate.PNG ( 150.81K )Number of downloads: 4

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

FrankRuperto
post Jun 5 2020, 12:42 PM
Post#24

QUOTE (Frank)
Setting windows to sync with a time server is useless if it frequently updates the correct the date/time.

QUOTE (CORRECTION)
Setting windows to sync with a time server is useless if it DOES NOT frequently update the correct the date/time.

This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Jun 5 2020, 12:42 PM

--------------------

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    8th July 2020 - 08:32 PM