UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Relationships And Linked Tables, Access 2007    

eacollie
post Jun 16 2018, 07:54 PM
Post#1

Is it possible to set up relationships to linked tables?
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 16 2018, 08:23 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Relationships have to be established in the backend. What did you have in mind?

eacollie
post Jun 17 2018, 06:33 AM
Post#3

Thanks theDBGuy. I have a database that has a long history. It started as one and then a second, separate database was created to handle what were then unrelated matters. Then those got to be "related" matters iconfused.gif and currently the second database is linked into the first. Now, for finance reasons, I need to create a table ("types") that has to relate to tables in both the first and second databases. I think the easiest thing is to move the second database into the first? Actually, the whole thing needs to be redone, but that's another story.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 17 2018, 07:26 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

PMFJI:

Yes, relationships can only be established between tables in the same accdb, which is, of course, usually a BE. It's not only the "easiest" thing, it's the only way you can define those relationships at the database level.

Depending on size of the two databases, merging them might be the most effective way to migrate them forward. That, however, raises the question as to whether it's really worth while to rearchitect it entirely, as you hint. If you do bring them together, are there OTHER factors that could be addressed at the same time? What is the ROI on doing so? Is this now a mission critical application? (That often happens with these Access database applications as they evolve.) If so, would it make sense to consider that major overhaul, and perhaps even migrating the tables to a server-based RDBMS, such as SQL Server Express. That would be another significant effort and not to be undertaken lightly, but should be given thought.

eacollie
post Jun 17 2018, 10:38 AM
Post#5

Thank you. It is an application that has been in use for some time, as I mentioned, and is critical to the operation. They have been looking for a substitute for quite some time but there is nothing out there that both meets their setup and budget. Once something becomes available, I'm sure things will be migrated over. In the meantime we keep putting on "Band-Aids" to solve the immediate problems.

"PFMJI" = ?

theDBguy
post Jun 17 2018, 10:56 AM
Post#6

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Typically, you would have a one FE and one BE setup. However, it's very common to also have one FE and multiple BEs, which could be what you have now. It is also quite possible to have a setup with one BE and multiple FEs, which maybe where you could be going next.

Just a thought...

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 17 2018, 11:07 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

Pardon me for jumping in

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    24th June 2019 - 04:16 AM