UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Checkbox To Copy Field To Another Field, Access 2010    

wjm821
post Jul 21 2019, 08:00 AM
Post#1

Creating a sales receipt or invoice. tblCustomer has fields HomeAddress, ShipAddress and Checkbox. On the Form I have home address and shipping address with the checkbox, click on checkbox to copy HomeAddress to ShipAddress if it's the same address.

Doing searches everywhere I've found a code, but it doesn't work

Private Sub CopyAddress_AfterUpdate()
If CopyAddress = True Then
Me![ShipAddress] = Me![HomeAddress]
End Sub

also tried
Me.ShipAddress = Me.HomeAddress
End Sub

What am I missing? Something in the ShipAddress field? Setting on the Form?

Thank you for your help
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jul 21 2019, 08:24 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. When you say it doesn’t work, what do you mean? Were you getting an error? If so, what was the error message?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

RJD
post Jul 21 2019, 08:25 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Hi: Looks like you are missing the "End If" ... so you could write the code like this ...

Me![ShipAddress] = Me![HomeAddress]
End If
End Sub

Or ...

If Me!CopyAddress = True Then Me![ShipAddress] = Me![HomeAddress]
End Sub

Or even just ...

If Me!CopyAddress Then Me![ShipAddress] = Me![HomeAddress]
End Sub

(Note I added the Me!, although it will work without it.)

But also, I assume you have a yes/no table field named CopyAddress (not Checkbox, as in your post first line). Is that correct? If you simply want to copy the address, a command button should do just as well, unless you always want to indicate that attribute in your record.

And what I usually do is not have an indicator, but use code when printing the Invoice/Receipt to check for a null ShipAddress and if so, use the HomeAddress.

HTH
Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

wjm821
post Jul 21 2019, 08:54 AM
Post#4

Yes in my tblCust I have yes/no field

I tried all 3 suggestions and nothing works.

Fields on form/table are HomeAddress, ShipAddress and yes/no, no unbound text boxes. Looked at the spelling, all is correct.

what would vba code for a command button to copy the field
This post has been edited by wjm821: Jul 21 2019, 08:55 AM

Jeff B.
post Jul 21 2019, 08:57 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Do you have "Option Explicit" set? Have you inserted a breakpoint and traced the flow? (… and, as already asked, are you getting an error message? When you say "doesn't work", we have to guess what that means)

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

RJD
post Jul 21 2019, 08:58 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Hi: Well, obviously something is going on that we cannot see. I tested my suggestions and all work. Take a look at the attachment.

If you are still having this issue, please post a db with the table and form, with some example records in the table. Then we can see what is really going on.

HTH
Joe
Attached File(s)
Attached File  FormAction.zip ( 23.03K )Number of downloads: 1

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

wjm821
post Jul 21 2019, 09:01 AM
Post#7

no error messages, just looking at the table after update then saving record. Will say when box is checked the ShipAddress is still

RJD
post Jul 21 2019, 09:05 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

If using a command button, the code is ...

Me!ShipAddress = Me!HomeAddress

But take a look at the revised demo attached and see how it differs from what you are doing. And again, if still an issue, please post a db for us to look at. Probably something very simple.

HTH
Joe
Attached File(s)
Attached File  FormAction_Rev1.zip ( 23.67K )Number of downloads: 3

--------------------

wjm821
post Jul 21 2019, 09:06 AM
Post#9

Sending my database. The file you sent doesn't work for me so I'm guessing it's in the option setting for the database itself

RJD
post Jul 21 2019, 09:08 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

Hmmm ... The files I sent work without a problem here. And I do not see your posted file. Did you zip it first?

What do you mean by "The file you sent doesn't work for me"?

HTH
Joe

--------------------

wjm821
post Jul 21 2019, 09:09 AM
Post#11

The database has a lot more address fields, just trying to get homeaddress and shipaddress working, then I'll just add the rest in

RJD
post Jul 21 2019, 09:12 AM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

The database has a lot more address fields, just trying to get homeaddress and shipaddress working, then I'll just add the rest in

Understand. But if we don't have a good description of what you are doing, or have the db in-hand, it will be very difficult to help.

HTH
Joe

--------------------

wjm821
post Jul 21 2019, 09:13 AM
Post#13

resending as zip file.

Neither file you sent updates to the shipaddress field
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Test2.zip ( 513.38K )Number of downloads: 1

RJD
post Jul 21 2019, 09:38 AM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

Neither file you sent updates to the shipaddress field

I assume you mean in my demo, not in your db. It works without any problems here, also in A2010. Have you checked your references?

I also looked at your posted db. I used frmInvoice, and added a command button to copy the city control contents (Text283) to the ship city (SCity) (after adding a city in the underlying record for customer 1), then save using the Dirty approach. It works without a problem.

Please test what I have done and see if this works for you.

HTH
Joe
Attached File(s)
Attached File  UA_wjm821_20190721_Rev1.zip ( 511.75K )Number of downloads: 3

--------------------

wjm821
post Jul 21 2019, 09:41 AM
Post#15

I'm sorry I sent the wrong db, this is the correct one
Attached File(s)
Attached File  PB1.zip ( 728.11K )Number of downloads: 4

wjm821
post Jul 21 2019, 09:42 AM
Post#16

yes your demo, so it has to be a setting somewhere that is a default in my a2010

RJD
post Jul 21 2019, 09:50 AM
Post#17

UtterAccess VIP

Hi: I tested your last db, and clicking the "Copy Address" checkbox copies the address without a problem. I added a record save so that the results would appear immediately in the table. Again, no problem.

So, I am at a loss why this is not working for you there, and not giving you any indications.

Perhaps someone else can think of a reason this is happening, because I am currently fresh out of ideas. I will put out a call and see if someone else has ideas.

HTH
Joe

--------------------

wjm821
post Jul 21 2019, 09:55 AM
Post#18

All the ways you said to try was what I found through Google, except 1. Something is wrong somewhere I looked in File/Options/General and Current DB

Thank you for your time, batting my head on this for 2 days

RJD
post Jul 21 2019, 10:02 AM
Post#19

UtterAccess VIP

Yes, sounds like you have a problem locally, probably with your setup, since it all works fine here. (By the way, did you check your references?)

I put out a call to the VIPs to see if we can get more eyes/brains on this for you. Let's see what turns up. Lots of experience/expertise here, so maybe a solution will emerge.

Good luck. I'll look back at this from time to time to see if any suggestions come forth and anything gets resolved.

Regards,
Joe

--------------------

wjm821
post Jul 21 2019, 10:12 AM
Post#20

attached is the references
Attached File(s)
Attached File  references.gif ( 5.71K )Number of downloads: 0

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th August 2019 - 10:59 PM