UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fe On Citrix, Access 2013    

phisaw
post Apr 22 2019, 08:50 AM
Post#1

Hi All,

I have a question about placing an accde FE in Citrix for multiple users. Once placed there and users connect via an app icon on Citrix Receiver, should the FE in the designated folder be locked?

The reason I ask is that I have another 2003 version mdb database that is split FE/BE for multiple users with the Access security. It was set up with the FE/BE in different folders and the FE was placed on users computers via script. I could replace the copy of the FE on the network without any errors of the database being in use or locked and then send a message to users to update (via script) the database. All worked well.

Now, our IT dept wants the databases opened with an app in Citrix Receiver and I had to explain that a FE copy needed to be placed on each users computer, as they originally set it that all were using the same copy in the Front End folder.

I'm not familiar with the workings of the accde, but as asked, should this be locked or am I having a problem with users logging into the same copy?

Please help me to understand where the problem lies.
Thanks,
Pam
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Apr 22 2019, 10:43 AM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi Pam. When each user logs into Citrix, don't they get their own folder in their profile? If so, they should get their own copy of the FE in this folder. I am not familiar with Citrix Receiver, but the question I would ask is does it work with users having their own profile/folder when they log in?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 22 2019, 10:44 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Please do not let your IT force all users to share one accde. That's been associated, frequently, with corruption. It's not a safe standard practice.

You should look into a method by which all users are able to use their own copy of the accde FE via their Citrix connection.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

phisaw
post Apr 22 2019, 01:04 PM
Post#4

DBGuy and George,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is supposed to be set up that each person gets their own copy of the FE when using the Citrix app for the database. Since the copy of the FE that resides in the network files is locked, I'm wondering if that is the case.

Since I've just recently converted to accdb and accde and am not familiar with any differences from mdb's, can you please tell me if the user had his own copy and logged into it, would that cause the main accde file to lock?

Thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated!
Pam

theDBguy
post Apr 22 2019, 01:28 PM
Post#5

UA Moderator

Hi Pam. What exactly do you mean by the accde file being locked?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

phisaw
post Apr 22 2019, 02:05 PM
Post#6

Hi DBGuy,

In the folder where the main accde file resides, it also has the 1KB file with the same db name with type Microsoft Access Record-Locking Information.

Here's where I'm getting confused and hope you can help me understand:

I have a job tracking db (JDB) that was created back in 2000 and is still being used. It has the Access Workgroup security. It is a split db with the back-end portion in a server folder Databases\LiveBackEnds and the front-end portion in a folder Databases\LiveFrontEnds. It was set up so that each user places a copy of the front-end in their Documents folder on their computer with Script. When I need to update the database, I make changes in my copy and then replace the copy in the LiveFrontEnds folder. There is no Record-Locking File while users are using the db.

The db in question (IndDB) is a db created since our change to Access 2013. When I created this db, before I could issue a copy/update script, IT approached me and wanted to create an App for the db, somehow limiting the traffic on the servers (still don't understand what/how/why). I placed the back-end in the LiveBackEnds folder and the front-end in the LiveFrontEnds folder. Initially, IT had everyone working out of the same copy in the LiveFrontEnds folder. I explained it could not be this way and it was supposed to be changed, but now with the record-locking file, I'm not sure something hasn't changed. When I make changes to my local copy, save as accde, and then try to save to the LiveFrontEnds folder, replacing the existing copy, I get a file in use error.

I hope all this is clear and look forward to your thoughts.
Thanks again,
Pam

theDBguy
post Apr 22 2019, 02:14 PM
Post#7

UA Moderator

Hi Pam. The way things work in the new version of Access is still the same as in the old version. So, if you're seeing a lock file (*.laccdb) in the front end folder, then the FE is not being used properly. It would indicate users are "sharing" the same physical file rather than making their own copy and using it.

--------------------

phisaw
post Apr 22 2019, 02:27 PM
Post#8

Thanks DBGuy! That's what I thought with the locked file showing up, but still wasn't sure if the accde would cause it. I wanted to hear from the experts first! Now I need to get with IT and figure out how they have set this up.

Thanks for your time and help! As always, it's greatly appreciated!
Pam

theDBguy
post Apr 22 2019, 02:59 PM
Post#9

UA Moderator

Hi Pam. You're welcome. Good luck!

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    5th December 2019 - 04:50 PM