UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transferspreadsheet Field Name Not Valid, Access 2013    

B99
post Jul 30 2020, 03:40 PM
Post#1

Hi All,

I'm trying to import a spreadsheet into Access and I am getting "Field Name F8 is not valid in the import file." There is no field F8 and from what little I was able to find, F8 means the 8th column in the file. There are only 5 column and 2 rows (one being column headers). I tried deleting all columns from 6 to the end, as well as all rows from 3 to the end but I continue to get the error. I tried copying and pasting to a new sheet with a new name but that didn't work either.

I'm using the same process with 3 other types of Excel files and they are all working perfectly. This particular file was originally de-normalized on one sheet and it worked great. The user didn't want to repeat the header data on each row so I added a sheet for just the header data and removed the header data from the detail sheet. Now I can't get around the error. Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

tina t
post Jul 30 2020, 03:58 PM
Post#2

if you haven't already, open the Import Wizard and click on the Advanced button. take a look at the field definitions and see if a field F8 is defined in the list. if so, try deleting it there.

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

B99
post Jul 30 2020, 04:59 PM
Post#3

Hi Tina,

I tried your suggestion but the import wizard only shows the 5 columns that I have defined. I imported into a new table and it had the same 5 columns as well. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian

B99
post Jul 30 2020, 07:35 PM
Post#4

Well, now it's working. After I loaded the Excel file into a new table and confirmed the structure was exactly as I expected (no extra columns), I tried loading the same file into my import table using the wizard. It failed with a 'subscript out of range' error but the wizard did not say anything about any fields not existing. I again compared my import table structure with the table that Access created and they were the same. I wanted to see the error message again so I tried to load my import table again and it loaded without error. There were no changes to the table or the data in between the attempts. I also verified that it works through the VBA code as expected.

I guess this is payback for all the times I've rolled my eyes when someone tells me "I swear it didn't work a second ago!"

tina t
post Jul 30 2020, 09:34 PM
Post#5

I guess this is payback for all the times I've rolled my eyes when someone tells me "I swear it didn't work a second ago!"

LOL!! oh yes, i've been on both sides of the conversation myself! ;)

i wonder if there isn't some kind of corruption going on, though. it might be worthwhile to create a new blank db, turning OFF the Name Autocorrect option immediately of course, then after a compact and repair, importing the import specification and the table structure from your existing db. C&R again, make a backup, and then run the import again. if it's all good, you can roll on from there and hope to not get a visit from the ghost of Christmas Past. good luck!

hth
tina

--------------------

B99
post Jul 31 2020, 08:57 AM
Post#6

Hi Tina,

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't realize the issues with Name Autocorrect and had to look it up. This is the third issue I've had in about a week where something should have worked but didn't and then started working again. I've renamed some objects in the past, including the offending import table due to a typo, and I'm wondering if that hasn't contributed to the issues. I'm going to build on your suggestion and import everything into a new DB.

Thanks for your help!

-Brian

tina t
post Jul 31 2020, 02:50 PM
Post#7

you're welcome, hon! :) tina

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    6th August 2020 - 08:19 AM