UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compact And Repair Comfusion, Access 2013    

fitzdesignz
post May 11 2019, 12:58 PM
Post#1

Okay, I've read quit a bit on regularly compacting and repairing the access backend but each article, blog post, or thread I read gets me more confused on what's the right thing to do to ensure optimal performance and avoid corruption.

I'm looking for advice on my particular situation.

Specs:
Patient scheduling application.
Split front and back ends.
15-20 active users.
About 20-40 new records added daily.
Records are modified numerous times throughout the day (IE certain fields in that record are changed or updated)
About 5-10 records deleted daily.
I have a years worth of data currently and it's at 3750kb. (With periodic random C/R performed)

Questions:
  1. How often should I preform a C/R on this DB. Daily, Weekly, Monthly?
  2. I wrote a script to automatically backup the database each night at 2am. The script first check of the presence of a lock file then copy's the DB to a backup drive. Is there any reason why I shouldn't add automatic C/R to this script to be preformed daily?
  3. Do the /Compact and /Repair cmd preform the same thing? If not then what cmd does both
    msaccess "path to database file" /compact VS msaccess "path to database file" /repair

My biggest concern is database corruption. Microsoft documentation merely recommends performing frequent C/R.
I've read reports of performing C/R too often can cause corruption.

Please shed some light on my situation.
Thanks

Go to the top of the page

isladogs
post May 11 2019, 01:20 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

3750kb is tiny as databases go.

Sounds like you have a well designed setup though why do you delete several records each day.
Do continue with your daily backups.
However, with your setup, I see no reason to compact every day as part of your backup routine
Suggest you do so weekly or when the file size gets larger than a specified value.

Since A2007 or so, C&R is done at the same time.
There is a small risk of corruption particularly when C&R is done automatically on close. Recommend you don't do that.

P.S. I'm assuming you are referring to compacting the BE file. Not the FE.

--------------------

pere_de_chipstic...
post May 11 2019, 03:05 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

PMFJI

As a rule of thumb, I generally don't perform C&Rs on a 'released' application Front End. However I do provide an FE ribbon command where users can instigate an FE C&R if their FE is performing unexpectedly (compared to other user's FEs).

For the BE, code checks how much the BE file size has increased since the last C&R. If the file size has increased by more than a set amount (eg 25% - set by an administrator) then a message is displayed recommending the BE is C&R'd.

hth

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

fitzdesignz
post May 13 2019, 03:32 PM
Post#4

Thanks for the reply guys!

Yes, I'm talking about the back-end. I understand that front-ends don't usually need C/R.

So, what I'm hearing is don't worry about routine C/R unless the DB grows an excessive amount in a sort time?

isladogs -
When an appointment is cancelled before it's official or if the appointment is input by mistake that record is deleted. I over estimated the amount of deletions its more like 2-4 records a day.

Thanks again guys.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th August 2019 - 10:36 PM