UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Database Corruption Prevention, Access 2007    

Chrismeli
post Sep 14 2019, 01:10 PM
Post#1

Hello to all! I have a question!
I have a database which I already split and shared a front end in the four computers that will be using the database! I have created locked front ends so they can not change the front end unless they save it as new front end! I am leaving for vacation now and I want to make sure that there will be no database corruption! Is there anything more I would have to do or that you can think of? I have already created with autoit an automated Ctrl Copy of the back but also front end of the database in a secure folder every 8 hours! Is there anything more you would suggest me doing? The users of the database are not really tech savvy so I want to make sure nothing bad will happen to make them call me while I am away!
Ps
I have lots of queries , reports and forms but mainly almost all the commands are in vba editor.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 14 2019, 01:28 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

Unfortunately there's no way to guarantee there will be no corruption. You've taken steps to minimize the risk. You can't prevent it entirely.

I wonder if your concern, though, is based on prior experience with corruption, or if you are trying to head off unforeseen problems in general.

Maybe the best thing is to try to train up a substitute admin for you while you're away.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

theDBguy
post Sep 14 2019, 02:20 PM
Post#3

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

It depends on what gets corrupted. If the FE, just have the user download a fresh copy. If the BE, then someone needs to restore it from a good backup. Otherwise, as George said, you can't stop corruption from happening, you can only plan for it. Good luck!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Chrismeli
post Sep 14 2019, 02:41 PM
Post#4

DBGuy and GroverPark thank you for your quick replies! Truth is one time it happened. A user tried to open a form and microsoft access stopped working! I had to open the access with the shift button pressed , change slightly the vba code that was opening the form and some of the if statements and then it worked. I dont think I will lose any data or it will crash and be corrupted entirely, I just don't want anyone to accuse my creation of being "faulty" and therefore convincing the supervisors that we have to return to the old traditional book keeping which means complete chaos.

cheekybuddha
post Sep 14 2019, 03:04 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

>> and shared a front end in the four computers <<

It's not 100% clear from your post, but each of the four computers should have their own local copy of the front end. 2 users accessing the backend via the same front-end at the same time is a recipe for corruption.

Also, are the computers accessing the network his wired LAN? Wireless connections which can drop in and out are another frequent cause of corruption.

hth,

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

Chrismeli
post Sep 14 2019, 04:03 PM
Post#6

Oh they do! They have their own front end each one because it's a little bit different . For example pc A needs to do a certain task and when they complete it, computer B is accessing the information and then prints some reports. Computer C is just viewing the records that are being changed! PC A and PC B are connected through wired Lan , I have also set up a wireless antenna In pc B where is also the back end
So pc b is connected to Lan network A and wifi network B. PC c is connected to computer B via the wifi connection ( it is on different ethernet lan connection )
PC D is just there doing the same thing as pc C , viewing the info!

nvogel
post Sep 15 2019, 07:05 AM
Post#7

If the database is crucial to your business then maybe it's worth asking whether Access is really the right platform for it. The fact that something may be at risk when one person is away from the office is obviously a bit of a red flag.

jleach
post Sep 15 2019, 07:44 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess Editor

To push nvogel's suggestion just a tad further: a SQL Express backend can easily replace Access as the database engine, has a quite low learning curve, the Access application itself hardly needs to change at all (relink tables to the SQL db instead of an Access BE is usually enough for light workloads), and is far, far more robust. And it's free (up to 10gb at least, after which you have to move to a different edition, but that's 5x more the Access db size limit).

Cheers,

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 15 2019, 08:53 AM
Post#9

UA Admin

The fact that there are WIFI connections involved here also argues for a more robust back end database. While modern WIFI is probably more stable and dependable than it used to be, it's probably not the best solution for connecting Access interfaces to Access data stores.

SQL Server Express fills that requirement nicely, as well.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st October 2019 - 03:12 PM