UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Configuring Settings To Run Networked Application, Access 2010    

ClaudioHenriques
post Oct 19 2018, 10:28 AM
Post#1

In an application running on windows network, I have a back-end file with the tables and on the local computers I have the front-end with the forms etc..

Question: how to configure client options to network in these 2 files?

The back-end file must be configured with the "default open mode: shared" and the "default registry protection" must be set to "unprotected" and the "open database using registry level lock "must it be unchecked?

How does the front-end forms work? Should the form that accesses the back- end table have the "registry protection" option set to "unprotected"?

I have received messages from locked tables ... defaulting front-end forms protection .. will it?

thank you all for your attention
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 20 2018, 08:32 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

I don't have a specific answer, but this has been left unaddressed for a while.

With regard to the Back End accdb, yes, it'll need to be opened as shared so that multiple users can share it.

I am not familiar with the "default registry protection" setting, though? Where do you see that?

Perhaps "registry" is a mis-translation of "table?"

This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Oct 20 2018, 08:35 AM

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

DanielPineault
post Oct 20 2018, 03:31 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I've never heard of the terms you are using.

You split the DB. The back-end goes in a central location. Your users need Full Permissions (read, write & delete) on that folder. I recommend Traverse Permission personally.

Then you distribute the front-end to your users. It should be housed locally on their PC with Full Permissions once again.

When relinking the tables after splitting the database, it is best to use UNC paths rather than mapped drives.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 20 2018, 06:50 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

Here's my guess. This is a mis-translation used in a different language version of Access.
Attached File  PosibleTranslationError.jpg ( 112.24K )Number of downloads: 14

Specifically, I wonder if "registry" should be translated as "record" as in this context.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Oct 20 2018, 07:12 PM

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
Beginning SQL Server

dougbierer
post Sep 21 2019, 08:36 PM
Post#5

I am experiencing the same problem with Access 2013. I have verified file permissions, database options as illustrated earlier in this thread. Is there a windows registry setting that governs whether a database will open in multiuser mode?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 21 2019, 09:58 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

Hello and welcome to UtterAccess.

The most common problem that we see with multi-user back end accdbs is that they are placed in network folders to which some (or all users) lack the proper permissions. Specifically, in order to use a shared back end accdb, all users must have read, write and delete permissions on that folder.

Each of your users gets their own copy of the front end accdb containing the forms, reports, queries and VBA ( or macros). All of those front end accdbs are linked to the one back end accdb, which contains only the tables. In this configuration, when any user starts their copy of the FE, Access creates the locking file (with the .lccdb extension) in the back end, or network folder. When the last user exits their copy of the FE, Access tries to delete that locking file.

If users lack network permission to delete that file, then other users can be locked out, or can't open it from their FE.

Make sure you've properly assigned permissions to all users.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

dougbierer
post Sep 22 2019, 07:35 AM
Post#7

Thank you for confirming those details.

In my case, file permissions were correct, but the folder was not. I have made the folder permission changes and am waiting on feedback from my users to confirm it is working as intended.

This site is very helpful and hope to contribute as much as I receive. Thanks for the quick response.

DanielPineault
post Sep 22 2019, 08:17 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

It is a good idea to setup the back-end folder with Traverse permissions, so that it is accessible to the front-end but not visible to the end-users. This way they don't go playing around in the folder. Then you setup a separate folder for the Front-end and deployment utility ...

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2019 - 11:48 PM