UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Free Virus Software    

shermaine
post Apr 30 2010, 11:53 AM
Post#1

may i know which is recommended for good free scan?
Go to the top of the page

Alan_G
post Apr 30 2010, 01:14 PM
Post#2

Remembered as Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi
on't know about recommended, but the free one that generally scores very highly in independant tests is AVG available from here

Brunn
post Apr 30 2010, 07:14 PM
Post#3

This good too: http://www.avast.com/index

Steve Schapel
post Apr 30 2010, 08:40 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Avira http://www.free-av.com/ is awesome.
o is Microsoft Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

HiTechCoach
post May 1 2010, 10:36 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

See:
Best Performing Free Antivirus

Steve Schapel
post May 1 2010, 11:17 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Thanks a lot for that information, Boyd. And very interesting. I really like Security Essentials, not only performance but also friendly UI, but I was not aware of its good ranking in tests.
For the record, I would never touch AVG, and my experience with Avast is that it is very slow, clunky, and invasive.

likajoho
post May 11 2010, 09:57 AM
Post#7

I have AVG but it did not protect me from an infection that stole resources, wouldn't allow me to add/remove programs, every few seconds flashed pop-ups regarding a security breach alternately with a pop-up taking me to a site to download anti-virus software, and that I could never identify to uninstall when accessing my computer through an alternate profile.
So, I'm on the lookout for a new program, but am curious why you "wouldn't touch AVG".

DougY
post May 17 2010, 12:59 PM
Post#8

Utterly Abby-Normal

Sher,
You are asking for free scans? do you mean free AV programs (plenty of good ones listed by other members already in this thread) or free on-demand scanners?

likajoho
post May 18 2010, 08:16 AM
Post#9

Actually, I have paid-for versions on my business machines. Anyway, trying to decide for sure about changing right now or waiting until my sub expires. And trying to decide which one to buy, so was curious what the other poster meant by "wouldn't touch AVG". I've found quite a bit about the free versions, but I may not qualify for some of them since I have two machines and may be getting to new ones soon--so a total of 4 needing protection and at least two used for business.
o would be interested on comments about any of the pay-for version as well.
Also needing a new one for my mom's computer so interested in one that is particularly user-friendly--free or not.

HiTechCoach
post May 18 2010, 09:18 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

I would recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials for home and business. It is very user friendly. It can be used free of charge on any PC with a valid Windows license.
ee:
Best Performing Free Antivirus

Alan_G
post May 18 2010, 09:19 AM
Post#11

Remembered as Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

I can only speak as I find, and I use Kaspersky exclusively. I have different flavours of it installed on about 30 PC's with different specs/OS's and personally I rate it extremely highly.
Been using it now since pretty much v1 (so about 14 years) in all it's incartations, and whilst like most software it has it's little quirks I wouldn't want to change to anything else.
Horses for courses though as with everything, and that's just my opinion <

DanielPineault
post Jan 5 2012, 09:30 PM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

AVG
Avast
Kaspersky
aspersky - has been known to not play so nice with other program but is good
AVG - I had several clients that have gotten infections with it running
Avast - typically what I recommend to my clients. I has successfully used it to cleanup computers that were infected with AVG installed.
If you google the subject you'll find lot of other programs and differing opinions. You'll have to try one and see how it work for you.
Another good idea is to install a host file on your computers and install a proper firewall (do not rely on the one built-in to Windows).

dflak
post Oct 5 2013, 06:43 AM
Post#13

Utter Access VIP

I was a big fan of Microsoft Security Essentials until I saw this article.
quot;Microsoft Now Recommends You Use a Third-Party Antivirus" http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-mi...arty-antivirus/
Since I am one of the geeky types mentioned in the article, I will probably continue to use it at least in the short term.
We have 7 computers at home (for two people. Don't ask). Four of them are at least in weekly use. All use MSE. The only thing that my wife and I have seen in the past couple of years was something that was redirecting our browsers on two of the computers. We both got it on the same day and a SAFE Mode scan with Malwarebytes seemed to get rid of it. The regular mode scan probably would have worked, but once I see something I download the latest definitions then reboot in safe mode w/o networking.
A litter of PUPs on one day in several years isn't too bad, but still has me concerned. Otherwise MSE seems to be working.
The other thing that concerns me is why we both got the same infection on the same day on two different machines. Our browsing habits are different.

TerryHiggins
post Mar 23 2020, 08:37 AM
Post#14

The best FREE antivirus is windows defender. It's going to be there anyhow, so you might as well get the most out of the resources that it will use regardless of whether you install another antivirus or not without extensive procedures to nullify it. Plus, it does just as good of a job as any other free antivirus.

Moreover, even if you see one of the detailed comparison between avast and windows defender, you notice that eventually avast got the lead but when they talk about only free option then Windows defender is the winner
This post has been edited by TerryHiggins: Mar 23 2020, 08:38 AM

cheekybuddha
post Mar 23 2020, 09:02 AM
Post#15

UtterAccess Moderator

@TerryHiggins,

welcome2UA.gif

I guess when the previous responses were written Windows Defender barely existed. IIRC it's the evolution of MSE which @dflak mentions.

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    29th March 2020 - 03:19 AM