UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some Replies Dont Appear Published After Edit Period    

FrankRuperto
post Nov 4 2018, 05:29 PM
Post#1

I just checked some replies I made hours ago and although I can see them, they're not reflected as being published in the reply count under "My Discussions" list. Does this mean that all posts and replies do not get published unless a moderator publishes them?

--------------------
Currently supporting many Pawnshops that use my Management System with Access 2010 on Windows7. Ham Radio addict since 1978.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Nov 4 2018, 05:42 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Frank,

As far as I know, all replies should be published right away except for moderated forums. If you can see them, so should others too. I'm not sure though why they're not included in your My Discussions list.

Just my 2 cents...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

FrankRuperto
post Nov 4 2018, 05:58 PM
Post#3

Here's an example of a reply I posted in General Chat forum, topic = "If MS Access was not available, what would you use?". When I click on "My Discussions", it shows me a reply count of 34 for that topic, but the reply post number is 35.

--------------------
Currently supporting many Pawnshops that use my Management System with Access 2010 on Windows7. Ham Radio addict since 1978.

theDBguy
post Nov 4 2018, 06:31 PM
Post#4

Hi Frank,

It sounds like a different issue than "not published." I can't really offer any explanation why the total count is off because I have no idea where that information is coming from. To be honest, I never even noticed if it was ever correct or not. The only thing I could think of, today, is perhaps it also has something to do with the time change from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time. Maybe we'll see if it recovers in a couple of days. If it continues, we can certainly bring it up to the attention of the Engine Room.

Thanks!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

FrankRuperto
post Nov 4 2018, 06:40 PM
Post#5

Okay, thanks!... I wonder if you also can see a different reply count in your "My Discussions", compared to the Post# on your reply?

--------------------

theDBguy
post Nov 4 2018, 07:43 PM
Post#6

Hi Frank,

Just to satisfy our curiosity, I went to My Discussions and the reply count for this thread showed 4, but we know you already posted the 5th reply.

Like I said though, I’ll check again in a couple of days, just to be sure.

Cheers!

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 4 2018, 09:50 PM
Post#7

UA Admin

It may well be a timing problem; it's never been mentioned before to my knowledge, so it's hard to say whether it's new or associated with the time change today.

What is the main reason you are concerned? What does the exact count tell you? Are you relying on it for something? We certainly ought to make sure it's meeting that need if possible.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Visit My Blog on Facebook

FrankRuperto
post Nov 5 2018, 06:05 AM
Post#8

Hi George,

Its just an observation that made me think that all posts are initially queued up until a moderator decides to publish the post, or not. I PM'd another user and asked if he could see my post, and he said yes, so I think the difference between the reply count in "MyDiscussions", and the post number when viewing the thread is because its including the OP's post in the count. So technically the reply count in "MyDiscussions" is correct, but reply count is not being used in the thread, so it misled me.

--------------------

isladogs
post Nov 5 2018, 06:38 AM
Post#9

Isn't the number of replies = total posts -1?
This is post #9 s the list will show 8 replies...at the moment.
The OP is obviously not counted as it's not a reply.
This post has been edited by isladogs: Nov 5 2018, 06:40 AM

FrankRuperto
post Nov 5 2018, 08:23 AM
Post#10

Agreed

--------------------

theDBguy
post Nov 5 2018, 11:20 AM
Post#11

Hi All,

That makes sense. Thanks! Mystery solved then!

Cheers!

--------------------

ghubbell
post Nov 5 2018, 03:10 PM
Post#12

UA Administrator

Hi all,

Best we take a sec to re-read the guidelines.

http://www.UtterAccess.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

Specifically: "Also, note that posts made in the "Chat" and "Test" forums do not apply to this or any post count. Further, new members must have 25 posts before they can submit to any of the "Code Archive" or "Knowledgebase" forums."

(Matter of fact we don't even bother to run a 'test' forum any more but I think you get the idea.)

This came about well over a decade ago when there was a group of people who did little more here than pound in ridiculous chat posts and litter to amuse themselves. crazy.gif

There you go. wink.gif

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th November 2018 - 12:34 PM