UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Filtering Records Based On Password Entered, Access 2013    

tina t
post Jun 2 2020, 04:46 PM
Post#41

If I am understanding correctly the site can be selected from the switchboard applied to all the forms from the pop up filter form? This would set all the forms in the database to only show the site records? I am not too familiar tempvars so is there any templates you can suggest so I can see how this works?

no, that's not the solution i suggested. in my suggested setup, you would apply the site value in the WHERE clause of the query or SQL statement that is being used as the form's RecordSource. then you would filter the records returned by the RecordSource, according to whatever additional criteria you want to add, after the form opens.

you only need to filter for specific records you want to see, from the data form's recordset. and that recordset has already been set to include only one chosen site.

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"
Go to the top of the page

sarinadipity
post Jun 3 2020, 03:30 PM
Post#42

Okay but how would they choose the site to make that possible? Would I need a different front end for each site?

tina t
post Jun 3 2020, 04:47 PM
Post#43

no, separate frontend apps are not necessary.

I am currently using the button password VBA by allen browne which works for standard security I am just not sure how to covert it to different passwords. The added later of difficultly to this is I have unbound search boxes for searching the data using a filter but I need a main filter that only shows the site's records but still has the search feature search those records in the site's filter. If that makes sense?

Edit* Or maybe not even a password, maybe if I could do something where after they click on the button on my switchboard a popup comes up telling them to select a Site from the drop down menu and it brings up the records as I mentioned before. Something along those lines is what I need.

if you just need the user to choose a site, either put it in the switchboard form, or the "choose a filter" form. just do it at some point before you open the data form, so the choice get assigned to the TempVar. then when the form is opened, the underlying query or SQL statement will only return the records that match the TempVar value as referenced in the WHERE clause.

hth
tina

--------------------

sarinadipity
post Yesterday, 03:09 PM
Post#44

Can you put multiple TempVar criteria?

tina t
post Yesterday, 03:16 PM
Post#45

how do you mean? give me an example of what you're thinking to do, pls.

hth
tina

--------------------

tina t
post Yesterday, 11:40 PM
Post#46

ok, hon, i wrote a small demo db to show you what i mean by restricting the records in a form's RecordSource query, and filtering the recordset returned by the query.

i won't be able to upload it until Friday evening, because i wrote it at work, but can't zip it for upload until i get home Friday. so, patience for one more day, if you will.

hth
tina

--------------------

3 Pages V < 1 2 3

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    5th June 2020 - 10:37 AM