UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Option Group With Checkboxes, Access 2013    

Brandi
post Jan 13 2020, 06:55 PM
Post#1

I have several option groups on a form. Each option group has 6 checkboxes (6 choices to answer a question represented by the option group.
There is no default choice. All checkboxes show as black when working with the form.
How can I make the boxes look white?

Thank you.
Brandi
Go to the top of the page

isladogs
post Jan 13 2020, 07:04 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Unbound checkboxes show as filled black if they are null values.
To fix set the Triple State property to No and the default Vale to False or 0

Alternatively use bound checkboxes which cannot be null

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

Brandi
post Jan 13 2020, 07:17 PM
Post#3

I do not see any Triple State property in the option group or on the checkboxes.
Where would I find that?

So set the default value of each checkbox as 0 in each option group? They don't want a default for the option group.

Brandi
post Jan 13 2020, 07:20 PM
Post#4

Each checkbox has a value when checked. 5,4,3,2,1, and 0.
So the option group which refers to a field will have either a null value or 5,4,3,2,1,0

isladogs
post Jan 13 2020, 07:43 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Sorry I misread the question and my answer was based on individual checkboxes.

If you have setup an option group properly, you are quite correct.
Unfortunately that is the default behaviour for an option group with no default and using checkboxes.
As you don't want a default then I would recommend changing to radio buttons for you option group choices

--------------------
Website, email

Brandi
post Jan 13 2020, 07:46 PM
Post#6

I should say each option group is bound to a field.
I HAVE 13 OPTION GROUPS AND they are bound to question fields on a survey form.
Fields are named, Q1, Q2, Q3 etc.
The answers to these questions are registered by selecting one of 6 checkboxes in the option group.
You can only check one box. I know radio buttons would be better but the user wants to mimic a paper form that already exists.

So the data in field Q1 will either be Null, 5,4,3,2,1, or 0 corresponding to Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral, Strongly Disagree, Disagree, and NA

isladogs
post Jan 13 2020, 07:55 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Sorry but I don't know of a solution for this unless you change to radio buttons or create pseudo option groups using separate checkboxes as originally described.
I don't recommend the latter as its much more work

Hopefully someone else can suggest something. Good luck

--------------------
Website, email

Brandi
post Jan 13 2020, 08:05 PM
Post#8

Thank you.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 13 2020, 10:28 PM
Post#9

UA Admin

Just an opinion on who needs to be responsible for interface design.

"I know radio buttons would be better but the user wants to mimic a paper form that already exists."

This is quite a common situation. People think that users will be put off, or confused, or perhaps even unable to comprehend a different way of doing things.

IMO, that's a misplaced concern. Users are, by and large, not all that incompetent. Some are lazy, perhaps. But if we see a CLEARLY LABELLED option group and 6 radio buttons, I'll bet most people are not a bit confused or disappointed by that just because they've previously seen square checkboxes on a paper form. As a matter of fact, they're MORE likely to mistakenly put an X in multiple checkboxes with a pen than they are to mistakenly try to select two or more radio buttons with their mouse, especially if the interface deselects a different radio button option every time they click on a different one. As far as the paper is concerned, the only reason they don't check multiple checkboxes is that there is a CLEAR LABEL telling them not to do that. Nothing physical there to prevent it.

That said, your user has the final call, but it might be worth discussing the fact that an on-screen interface is, by definition, different from a paper interface.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Brandi
post Jan 14 2020, 09:09 AM
Post#10

OK. Thank you. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't possible with the checkboxes first before I tell them.
I had a default on the option groups and they didn't like that so now they can live with radio buttons.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 14 2020, 09:14 AM
Post#11

UA Admin

Good luck with the project.

I really would take the tack that they are moving from paper to an online system to gain the advantages of the digital experience, so they should not be afraid to exploit that new environment fully.

In a way, I guess, I'm suggesting that a part of our jobs as developers is to market the solutions effectively, not just plunk them down.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Jan 14 2020, 09:15 AM

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Brandi
post Jan 14 2020, 09:17 AM
Post#12

Thank you.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th January 2020 - 08:12 AM