UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Safe Browsing Or Feel Of Browsing, Any Versions    

mediator_ram
post Apr 25 2019, 05:57 PM
Post#1

Microsoft has been making several updates and changes to all of its applications but its internet explorer nor edge browser aren't recommendable by all. Why it so?
Does it have any safety issues? I felt no difference with browsing other than its look which is improved with the edge browser but still, it isn't much popular with all like other ms applications.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 25 2019, 06:59 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

That's a tough question to address, partly because it involves personal preferences, which can vary widely.

I know Access developers, for example, who LOVE Edge and wouldn't consider switching to a different browser. Others won't use Edge.

The same is true of IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc.

What it boils down to, IMO, is how much MS has invested in modernizing the two browsers, Edge and IE. As you probably know, Edge is the preferred choice and that's where the bulk of their development efforts are going.

Do you have a specific issue in mind?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

DanielPineault
post Apr 26 2019, 09:14 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Internet Explorer is known to have more security issues and vulnerabilities and as such I try to avoid it as much as possible. Something to keep in mind is the fact that IE is the only browser that can natively be automated through VBA though.

Then again, if privacy is a concern (and it should be!), browsers like Safari, Chrome are to be avoided as well.

For me browsers like FireFox, Brave (and there are a few others) are what should be installed and used.

BUT, as George points out, this is a personal issue.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2018 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

JonSmith
post Apr 26 2019, 09:42 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Something to keep in mind is the fact that IE is the only browser that can natively be automated through VBA though.

That being said other more 'generic' methods for automation such as Selenium face much more issues in IE that with other browsers, we use Firefox at work for ours as that seems one of the more automation friendly ones.

My personal preference for not using it is the following:

I feel it has more bugs
Extensions are poorer than Chrome / Firefox
Its slower that Chrome
The UI seems bad compared to the others.

Its mostly superficial stuff, the security concerns don't sway me either way but since they are a negative for IE it can just push me further away from it.

As for Edge, it just annoys me as it seems to be not complete. I'm pretty sure I've tried to do stuff in Edge and it redirected me to IE. It feels to me like the stupid Windows thing where there are now two locations to manage programs so when you want to uninstall you have to guess which list the application might be in. The 'Apps and Features' list or the classic control panel option. Just give me one clean list Microsoft. Please.

cheekybuddha
post Apr 26 2019, 09:52 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Just to note - Edge is now Chrome/Chromium-based.

Brave has always been based on Chrome/Chromium.

Opera too.

I have been using Vivaldi for the last couple of years - it's brilliant! (But also Chrome/Chromium-based).

thumbup.gif

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd May 2019 - 02:03 AM