UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Combobox To Populate A Second Field, Access 2016    

BShick5088
post Feb 11 2019, 11:48 AM
Post#1

I have the need to automatically populate a second combo or text box with an area name on the "after update" function only if there is a second area name listed.

I have an automatic email being sent to a list of managers for various areas, for this example let's think of them as different states like Texas, Nevada, and Utah. I have hit the field limit of the 255 with all the lengthy email addressed we have and now have the need to spill over to a second list. My plan is to have a second combo box that I can associate to the CC section of the email code but would like it to only populate if there is a roll over second list. This works currently, but the user has to manually pick the second one if they see that there is a second one in the drop list.

In the attached example, let's say that there are so many people in TEXAS that we need to add a few email addresses into a TEXAS 2 list. We have one table that has 2 fields, one is the area name, and the other is the lengthy list of email addresses separated by a ";". To allow for more addresses we created a second Area with a number 2 after it and the user must select that in the second combo box.

What I would like to do is in the "after update" of the first area combo box run some kind of code to look up the table and see if there is an area of the same name with a number 2 at the end, and if so place that name in the combo box #2. I seem to be close, but lost deep in the weeds...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  TEST.zip ( 41.84K )Number of downloads: 4

Go to the top of the page

ADezii
post Feb 11 2019, 12:19 PM
Post#2

Why not simply set the Data Type of the [EmailAddress] Field to LONG TEXT where you can then place up to 63,999 characters into it?

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 11 2019, 01:29 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

I concur. Changing the field's datatype would work here.

However, I have to ask about this "...with all the lengthy email addressed we have..."

Are you storing multiple email addresses in one field? I hope I'm misinterpreting that, but I can't image a single email address longer than 255 characters.

Let's sort that problem out if we can.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd February 2019 - 09:19 AM