UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suppress Security Message - Web Browser Control, Access 2016    

River59
post Feb 12 2019, 01:12 PM
Post#1

Not sure where this post belonged so I put it here.

I have a web browser control on Access form that opens a PDF file from a shared drive. When user first opens the database and selects a pdf file to view, they get the Security Message:

"Protected View: This file originated from a potentially unsafe location, and most features have been disabled to avoid potential security risks."

User then selects 'Options' and can then select 'Trust this Host one time only', or 'Trust this Host always'. But, if the user exits the database and returns, even the file trusted will prompt again.

I have set the shared drive and all folders as trusted sites for the database but apparently this does not fall into that realm.

We would like to suppress this security warning and just Trust the Host and open the PDF file without prompts. Can this be done?

--------------------
Remember ... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins flew to the moon and back with a computer system less complex than a modern, programmable toaster ...
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Feb 12 2019, 01:17 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. I don't know where but there has to be a registry setting for it. We'll have to look it up.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

River59
post Feb 12 2019, 02:02 PM
Post#3

Thank you, dbGuy. I found where you can change the registry settings for .Net but not sure if it applies here as well.
I'm not not sure what kind of registry changes I can make on this computer. I work via VPN on a VERY secure network.

If you find something, I could use the help.

--------------------
Remember ... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins flew to the moon and back with a computer system less complex than a modern, programmable toaster ...

River59
post Feb 12 2019, 02:23 PM
Post#4

Normally you can turn off these message bar warnings in the Trust Center:

Show the Message Bar in all applications when document content is blocked

I can click an X on the message bar to close it for that PDF but it will come up again when selecting another PDF to open.

Our ability to turn it off in the trust center is disabled by our security team so I cannot change it here. Would have to find another way if one is possible.

--------------------

theDBguy
post Feb 12 2019, 02:33 PM
Post#5

Are you behind a government firewall? If so, your situation may be hopeless.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

River59
post Feb 12 2019, 03:13 PM
Post#6

Banking, tons of government oversight and security concerns. I think we are stuck seeing the warning. It's no big deal to me, only takes a second to close it. Management just wanted to know if we could shut it down.

Thanks, dbGuy!

--------------------

theDBguy
post Feb 12 2019, 03:15 PM
Post#7

Management needs to talk with IT...

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd February 2019 - 03:57 AM