UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Upgrading To Access 2019, Access 2010    

raykor
post Jul 1 2019, 12:18 PM
Post#1

I have an Access 2010 FE app with several hundred objects. The BE is on SQL Server.

I am about to upgrade my Win 7 PC to Windows 10 and my Office 2010 apps to Office 2019 (actually Office 365).

I am trying to decide what to do about Access. I do NOT plan to install more than one version of Access because I have read that while possible, it is not recommended.

I realize that I can run an Access 2010 app with Access 2019 but my understanding is that it cannot be edited without converting and I will need to edit it.

Option 1: Create a new Access 2019 app, import all the objects, and move all future development to the 2019 environment.
Option 2: Install only Access 2010 and stick with the environment I know.

I was hoping to hear what sort of experiences the community has had with this.

Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

Ray
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 1 2019, 12:28 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

I see no reason to cling to Access 2010. Others may have other inclinations.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

pere_de_chipstic...
post Jul 1 2019, 12:51 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

Are you the only user of your Access app(s)?

If you are distributing your Apps to other users, the Access version you develop your databases on should not be any later than the earliest version of Access your distributed db is being run on .

If you are the only user then this wouldn't be a problem!

hth

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

gemmathehusky
post Jul 1 2019, 01:02 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I have never had an issue with multiple versions of access.

At the moment, I have A2003 (for mdbs), and A365 (which is reported as A2016 at present)
I would be inclined to keep A2010, just in case, until you are absolutely sure you do not need it.

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

raykor
post Jul 1 2019, 01:07 PM
Post#5

My app is used by about 25 people in the company. I installed the 2010 runtime engine on all those users' PCs.

The 2010 app works perfectly fine. I suppose the only reason I am considering the upgrade is because newer versions tend to have nicer, more modern looking versions of the basic controls.

pere_de_chipstic...
post Jul 1 2019, 01:10 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess Editor

Hi Dave

>>I have never had an issue with multiple versions of access. <<
I've not had issues with A2003 v. later versions; but while you can have multiple versions of later versions installed on the same machine it is a PITA when the PC has to reconfigure office when you are switching between versions.

Also you need to be wary that you cannot install both 32bit and 64bit office / access on the same PC *.

* - unless you create a virtual machine on a partition
This post has been edited by pere_de_chipstick: Jul 1 2019, 01:18 PM

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

pere_de_chipstic...
post Jul 1 2019, 01:13 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess Editor

Hi raykor

>> I installed the 2010 runtime engine on all those users' PCs.<<
Unless you are prepared to upgrade all your PCs to 2019, then I would be very cautious about upgrading the development PC to A2019, especially if you are distributing an accde created with A2019 as it may not work running under A2010.

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

raykor
post Jul 9 2019, 03:07 PM
Post#8

A little feedback in case this helps anyone...

I opened up my Access 2010 FE in whatever the latest version of Access is installed by Office 365 and it didn't prompt me to convert. I've been testing for a couple of days and everything seems to be working perfectly.

isladogs
post Jul 9 2019, 05:10 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

Just to confirm that there is no reason why you need to convert your A2010 databases to run in A2019(365)

Also I agree with the earlier comment about running both versions on the same workstation (as I do on one workstation)
It is a total PITA if you forget which version a particular database was run /developed using as Access will insist on repairing/reconfiguring itself which can take a couple of minutes each time

--------------------

raykor
post Jul 9 2019, 05:48 PM
Post#10

The Office 365 subscription automatically updates all the Office apps to the latest versions on a feature-by-feature basis so I'm not even sure the traditional Office 2016/2019 versioning is relevant.

I'll just call it Access 365.

Correct, there was no reason that I "needed" to upgrade. But Access 2010 is getting up there in age so why not. With Microsoft's renewed attention to Access, I'm sure there are bug fixes, optimizations, and maybe even a few new features that I'll start discovering.

Since the new version is running my 2010 file without issues, I don't plan to install Access 2010 so I'll avoid any multiple version installations issues.

It also turns out that MS offers an Access 365 runtime engine that keeps itself up-to-date with my development version so no need to worry about the engine. That's pretty slick.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th August 2019 - 01:33 AM