UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Automatic Export Of Data To Website, Access 2010    

Alexander
post Jun 20 2019, 04:59 PM
Post#1

I am looking at a new project and trying to save time and be more efficient and give members better access to results as they come in.

The application compiles race results and normally we issue the results 2 or 3 hours after the race once we have all the data in the application.

We then post the result to the website as a PDF file and members then view the result on the website.

My question ... Does anyone already do this automaically from within an Access application and if so how can it be done?

The idea being as results come in we can then update the website every 10, 20 or 30 minutes instead of waiting as we do now to finish a result.

Any pointers appreciated.
This post has been edited by Alexander: Jun 20 2019, 05:01 PM

--------------------
Alexander
Keep using the sunscreen!
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 20 2019, 05:22 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

My first thought would be that the data could be STORED directly in a database behind the website, so that pages there are always up-to-date.

Your Access accdb could link to those same tables, and thereby be able to update records as you now do.

So, it is crucial to have the pdfs on the website, or would something more dynamic be acceptable/possible?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

DanielPineault
post Jun 20 2019, 05:23 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

If you host allows remote connections, perhaps you could use an ODBC connection and use straightforward queries to perform INSERT/UPDATE/...

As far as PDFs are concerned, you can use FTP to automate the transfer process. Link it to a timer event and the whole thing can be automatic.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 20 2019, 05:24 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

If that doesn't work for you, put a timer on a form that opens in the acdb and use it with an interval of however many minutes you choose. Trigger your current code that creates and uploads pdfs from that Timer event.

Would that work?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Alexander
post Jun 20 2019, 06:25 PM
Post#5

Thanks George … PDF format is not critical but we use that because it creates an exact image of the access report.

Given the positive answers it appears this is possible so will now do more digging and report back.

--------------------
Alexander

Alexander
post Jun 20 2019, 06:29 PM
Post#6

Thank you Daniel … I have experience of FTP to update a website file on a page so will re-visit that method to see if it is an option. I Recall some issue with the same file name but will need to check this out.

I have no experience with ODBC connection but worth a look so thanks for the help.

As I said to George I will explore further and report back.

--------------------
Alexander

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th October 2019 - 03:22 PM