UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ms Windows Explorer Searches    

likajoho
post Aug 1 2020, 10:13 AM
Post#1

When searching for a file by name in Window's Explorer, some words or parts of words will not find, even though I know they exist. Is there a trick I'm missing? If not, why? And If not, can you recommend an alternative free application that will work?
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 1 2020, 10:24 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

I've notice that sometimes you do need to include wildcards to find everything.

E.g. sometimes it seems like searching for, say something like "1844" will turn up "Image1844.jpg", but sometimes I have to use "*1844.*" to find the same file name.

I've not figured out the pattern; it's easier just to stick the wildcards in a move on.

Still, if anyone does have any insight, I'd be grateful to learn about it as well.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

likajoho
post Aug 1 2020, 10:38 AM
Post#3

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have seen the same thing about adding additional letters/words. But when then previous letters/words varies, that isn't particularly helpful when you are trying to find ALL of the files the have a particular word in the name.

Re wild cards, today in particular, I'm finding the wild card "*" is not working. I thought it was maybe because it wasn't recognizing a word I had abbreviated. So I renamed without abbreviating that word. It still couldn't find it. I think partly it is where the word is located. The earlier a word is in the file name, the more likely it gets it. I particularly would like to search for "*b." [specifically in my photos where "b" added to a file name means the image of the back of the photo], but it just will not find it. Even just the letter "*b" alone it cannot find. Perhaps because it is late in the file name--perhaps the search only works for the first ? characters of a file name?

likajoho
post Aug 1 2020, 11:18 AM
Post#4

As an example of the issue, in naming photos, my naming protocol is:
1) Date if known: YYYY MM DD or YYYY MM or YYYY or YYYYca etc.
2) Surname [preceded by space if there is a date]
3) First name
4) Maiden name abbreviated
5) Additional family member name or names or just "Fam" or "Etal"
6) Other persons listed preceded by a space, i.e. " wLeeSmith"
7) Location/event if known abbreviated, i.e. NEFtRobnsn [preceded by a space]
8) If group, group reference code & if ref# on back of photo, batch code, "~grp#btch##"
9) Source reference i.e. "_frmWSSPhoto001"
10 Other info like:
a) "b" added for back of photo
b) "_src" added to a text file giving source and other info
c) "_###dpi" added if not the standard 300dpi I usually scan in
d) "c", "d", etc. for other images like the photo frame, attached documents, etc.
e) editing notes "_***" i.e. "_crpd" or cropped, "_drknd" or darkened

So my file name might look something like: 1943 ShepardWandaSzmr NEFtRbnsn~grp1btch35_frmWSSPhoto001b.jpg

Before I added the front description, all files were named WSSPhoto00#.... I wanted to pull up all images of the back of the photo. A search for Name: "b", "*b", "b." and "*b." all gave me no results. No amount of combinations of wild card searches pulled up a single one. There were over 200, well over 400 files altogether.

After I had added some descriptions to the fronts I wanted to pull up all photos with "Szmr". Name:"Szmr" did not work, nor "WandaSzmr". However ShepardWandaSzmr did. I wanted to also pull up other people's photos besides Wanda. So that would not have given me the results I wanted.

As a test, I renamed and unabbreviated "Szmr" to "Sizemore". That did not improve my searches.

As another test, I returned to "Szmr", but added a space before it. This did work, even when there was something other than a space that followed.

Problem is, I really don't want to add another space or character. Trying to keep the file names as short as possible. Also, that would break my naming convention if I added a space before the maiden name. Instead it would appear it was the surname for an additional person.

Why does this have to be so hard? It sounds like a simple search to look for 4 letters anywhere in a file name.

I have found several other utilities that have been very helpful. So at this point, unless someone knows a trick I've missed, I would love to hear about an alternative to Windows Explorer that you have found worked well. I don't need fancy. Just looking for a better search function without being a memory hungry app and with a half way simple interface.
This post has been edited by likajoho: Aug 1 2020, 11:20 AM

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    6th August 2020 - 07:47 AM