UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Microsoft Access On Mac Parallels, Mac OS X    

Rose_gardener
post May 18 2018, 10:04 AM
Post#1

Hello All:

One of my clients has one Mac user in the office. The Mac user is running Parallels so that she can use Microsoft Office products. But, when she opens the Access.accdb file on her computer it will only open as "read only". I was at their offices yesterday. The Access file works properly on every PC in the office, it is only her computer (using Parallels) where the file opens as "read only".

Has anyone else run into this? Do you have any suggestions for trouble-shooting. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been on a Mac machine. So, I'm completely out of my element on this one.

Thanks in Advance - Rose
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post May 18 2018, 10:08 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

I don't have direct experience of this, but a couple of questions.

Is this a single instance of an Access db stored locally on her Parallels instance?

Is it a frontend connecting to a backend on the network?

If the latter, then maybe her Parallels instance hasn't been setup with Read/Write permissions on the network folder containing the backend.

Let us know,

d

Rose_gardener
post May 18 2018, 10:38 AM
Post#3

Thank you for responding.

The .accdb file resides on a network drive. There is also a backend .accdb file in the same network drive folder.

This is not a folder permissions issue. She can open Word docs and Excel files from the same folder and is allowed to edit those files. This is something distinct to her Mac (with Parallels setup) vs. the other PCs in the office. If she logs into a PC, she can bring up all files from this network drive folder (including the .accdb file) and edit them all. If she's logged into her Mac - she can edit Word and Excel files but not the .accdb file.

cheekybuddha
post May 18 2018, 12:58 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

OK, that scotches that theory then!

However, you mention that the frontend resides on the network share.

Do more than one user ever open the frontend at the same time? This can cause the read-only issue.

Ideally each user should have their own copy of the frontend (preferably locally, ie in her Parallels in this case) which then all link to the common backend on the network.

Perhaps try this setup?

hth,

d

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th November 2019 - 02:42 AM