UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access With Godaddy, Any Version    

access2009eg
post Jan 12 2019, 01:49 PM
Post#1

friends;
I'm using access to connect to SQL server DB hosted on Godaddy
I want
links to all topic speak about connecting access and SQL Server (troubleshooting, tips, tricks )
Thank you so much for your assistance and help

--------------------
I would like to Thank you for your help
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 12 2019, 04:52 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

Here's where search engines like DuckDuckGo, Bing and Google can be really helpful.

Search for the terms you want links for. You'll find them.

On the other hand, it's probably not going to work out so well if you ask others do that search for you.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

jleach
post Jan 12 2019, 11:41 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

Ironically, at the bottom of George's signature area is a link to Beginning SQL Server smile.gif

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 13 2019, 08:12 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Good starter link, indeed.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

AlbertKallal
post Jan 13 2019, 02:21 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Are you saying you have this working now?

If your linked tables work just fine, then the topic becomes using access as a front end to SQL server, and it don’t really matter if you using hosted SQL server, a local copy, or one that is running on goDaddy or these days "Azure".

The HARD part is getting the links etc. working.

You stated you are “using” this setup, so can we assume you have the linked tables working in access to the SQL server running on go Daddy???

If your linked tables are working just fine, then “any” article or reference that applies to go “any” case of working with SQL server will apply to your case.

So it has “zero” to do with go daddy, but ONLY that of using SQL server as the back end.

However, ONE big issue is of course you are using the internet to connect to SQL server – that is about 100 times slower than your local network.

So, something that takes 5 seconds will now take 500 seconds! (That is a whopping 8 minutes!!!!).

So your issue is not go daddy, but you having to pay VERY careful (it not super careful) attention to performance issues.

You better be RATHER comfortable with SQL server.

You will have to do everything in your power to optimize performance. Performance will be your #1 enemy, and your #1 goal here. Performance will be your #1 cost of time and effort to make this application perform at acceptable speeds.

Your setup can work, but because of the “massive” slowdown in your connection speed, then small performance issues now become HUGE ones.

The “general” topic of performance is a huge topic, and certainly one FAR beyond what can be conveyed in a public forum like this one.

Some tips are:
Forms:
Always, but ALWAYS ask the user what they want to work on BEFORE you launch the form. You can’t have a form pull lots of records and THEN let the user say use control-f to find a record (that is too slow).

I explain this concept of searching here:

http://www.kallal.ca/Search/index.html

Above tips are good for access, but for SQL server, they are a MUST.

Next up:
Convert complex SQL queries you have in access to a SQL server view, and link to that view from access.

You not need to do this for a form linked to one table (that form can still be bound to the linked table). However, for reports or queries with complex joins, you want these to occur server side.
However, for pick list, or display of data that is a complex join, then this is my #1 tip. And this also applies for reports.

If SQL server was running on your local network, then these performance issues are “small” and you don’t have much worry.

However, with SUCH A VERY slow connection speed, then EVERYTHING will center on your reducing the records that access pulls.

You have a LARGE amount of work ahead of you. The reason is that “slow” connection.

And BEFORE you say you have high speed internet?

Guess what, you DO NOT have high speed compared to your MOST cheap office local network (LAN).

You MUST read this article of mine to GRASP this slow concept, if you don’t, then all is lost!

You are using a WAN in place of a LAN

Read this article of mine:

Using a wan with ms-access? How fast, how far?
http://www.kallal.ca//Wan/Wans.html

The above article is hitting 16 years old, and it still 100% true to your situation.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

jleach
post Jan 13 2019, 06:07 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess Editor

>> The above article is hitting 16 years old, and it still 100% true to your situation. <<

... and is one of the three pillars of my article on the topic of database performance with a remote backend: https://dymeng.com/azure-series-05-database-performance/ (written as Access/SQL Azure, but applicable to any ODBC data source, really)

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th May 2019 - 02:02 AM