UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Site Suggestions    

isladogs
post Sep 29 2019, 01:56 AM
Post#21

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Jack
Thanks. Yes I use linear / standard view and sort=desc is exactly what I want.
However 1 issue is that the post numbering still shows #1 at the top which will be confusing if I refer to a specific pit by number.

Anyway I'm grateful for your efforts on this.

Agree there is no point doing this for the threaded view. Far too confusing!

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Dec 9 2019, 04:19 PM
Post#22

UtterAccess VIP

One more to add to the list, make media accessible without logging in. I some times do a search pull up a thread and find that I can't view images or other attachments without logging in. If the content isn't protected then why would the media be.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

FrankRuperto
post Dec 9 2019, 07:32 PM
Post#23

Probably same reason why you cant see the content of a posted reply when you get an email notification, they want us to login to UA.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Dec 9 2019, 07:33 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

jleach
post Dec 10 2019, 05:53 AM
Post#24

UtterAccess Administrator

Re: the site content, I'll run it by the admins, but my guess is that stuff like Code Archive downloads would remain behind registration. I think images probably aren't a big deal though.

Re: email content, I'm not sure if this software supports that. One argument against that feature I can think of would be that sometimes posts are made in haste and shortly thereafter edited, so by viewing it on the site and not a copy in an email, you're sure to get the intended response. In any case, it's hardly a conscious decision with the effort to drive people to log in to UA.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

isladogs
post Dec 10 2019, 06:09 AM
Post#25

UtterAccess VIP

When you do update the forum, I'd rather have the email content even though it may get edited afterwards. Then I can decide whether to login and reply.
I'd also prefer to only get notification of the first response rather than all subsequent responses.
Other forums only send one email notification unless you login and view the content. Saves drowning in emails.

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

jleach
post Feb 22 2020, 09:48 PM
Post#26

On the topic of descending order post listings: to do this on the current software would have required gutting nearly half of the codebase. Aside from the fact that generating a post list touches on dozens of files in the php code, the post numbers are assigned at the time or rendering, not as part of the database, so reversal of posts with correct numbering is extremely difficult, taking into account deleted or pending approval posts that may not be visible to non-admins.

UAv4's implementation of this:

CODE
this.posts = settings.user.getPostOrder() === 'desc' ? response.data.posts.reverse() : response.data.posts;

Fun stuff. I'm very much looking forward to the new release, it's coming along very nicely.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

FrankRuperto
post Feb 23 2020, 12:10 AM
Post#27

Why would changing posts sort order be so difficult? No data needs updating, just append "descending" to the "order by" clause in the query? Having the correct numbering is not so important as being able to quickly view most recent posts without having to jump to the end. Just saying.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Feb 23 2020, 12:11 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

jleach
post Feb 23 2020, 08:10 AM
Post#28

I already said that:

>> generating a post list touches on dozens of files in the php code <<

>> the post numbers are assigned at the time of rendering, not as part of the database <<

>> deleted or pending approval posts that may not be visible <<

Have you worked with much convoluted php code that's purposely structure to be a mess and prevent people from tampering with it? Ideally it should be as easy as changing an order, but things are rarely ideal.

>> Having the correct numbering is not so important <<

It is, because people refer to post numbers often.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

FrankRuperto
post Feb 23 2020, 04:00 PM
Post#29

Have you worked with much convoluted php code that's purposely structure to be a mess and prevent people from tampering with it? Ideally it should be as easy as changing an order, but things are rarely ideal.

Wow, is UA 3's code in that bad of shape?... Then perhaps no mods should be done to UA 3 and include this and many other feature request in UA 4.

UA 3 php was purposely obfuscated?... Interesting wary.gif

No one has died as a result of using UA 3, so we can continue limping along until UA 3 retires

--------------------

jleach
post Feb 23 2020, 04:03 PM
Post#30

Yes, it's a mess. It's commercial software, and the author doesn't seem to have been keen on extensibility (we adopted it some time ago because of the integration with MediaWiki).

In any case, that's why a lot of fixes and improvements have been sidelined for a long time. Not because we don't want to do things, but because it's excruciatingly difficult to do so.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    6th April 2020 - 06:47 AM