UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Type Of Chart Should I Use, Office 2013    

baffled100
post Mar 14 2020, 07:55 PM
Post#1

Hi,

I'm very much a beginner in the world of fancy Excel charts and I did spend some time looking for help on the web, but I was beginning to waste time. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction of what type of chart I would need to chart the data in the attached worksheet. It is data exported from an Access table. I started off summarizing the data in a crosstab query, but then got stuck. In the attached file, I have the exported data from both the table and from the crosstab query.

Many, many thanks!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Cell_service_survey.zip ( 9.87K )Number of downloads: 4

Go to the top of the page

June7
post Mar 14 2020, 08:18 PM
Post#2

Excel can do a bar or line chart. A set of 4 bars or lines (calls, texts, video, number of bars) for each provider/studio pair. Problem is, provider text is too wide for display on chart - overlaps.

This is on the Cell service survey sheet.

Looks like really need to first do an aggregate query to group on provider/studio - not a crosstab. I am guessing would want to sum calls, texts, video and average number of bars.
This post has been edited by June7: Mar 14 2020, 09:05 PM

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

MadPiet
post Mar 14 2020, 08:36 PM
Post#3

What kinds of questions are you trying to answer about the data?

baffled100
post Mar 25 2020, 01:14 PM
Post#4

Thanks so much for your reply, June7. I'm not sure I follow what you are suggesting, to group on provider/studio. There are 30 studios and 5 providers, so there would be 150 grouped items..? I wouldn't sum the texts, calls, video--the numbers are a rating of the service for each, not the number of each.

I created 4 separate bar charts, but I was hoping to be able to somehow combine them into one chart. I read about combining two sets of data, but I have four! Oh well, it doesn't seem possible....thanks for your help anyways!

June7
post Mar 26 2020, 12:29 AM
Post#5

Excel easily creates a bar chart that has all 4 data groups. What exactly do you want to chart - average ratings and number of calls for each studio/provider pair? Would have to first build aggregate query in Access and export that to Excel.

Access can also do bar chart.

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

baffled100
post Apr 20 2020, 11:14 AM
Post#6

Hi,

Finally got back to this project.....I created the aggregate query in Access and exported the data to Excel. I created a column chart, but as you can imagine, it isn't useful since there are 64 different combinations. I think I'll just need to separate the data into separate charts for each provider, unless there is some other chart that can handle this amount of data.

Thanks!

MadPiet
post Apr 20 2020, 12:15 PM
Post#7

I have a couple of questions....
Could you post a dummy of your expected output?
… and the big one... I can't remember if that version of Excel had Power Pivot/Query etc built in. Does it? If so, I think you can fix this data really easily that way.

Do you want to unpivot the {(Calls, Text, Video),(Number of Bars)} so you get one data set of {Communication Type, Number of Bars, Studio, Provider, Survey No}?

baffled100
post Apr 20 2020, 01:28 PM
Post#8

Thanks MadPiet! I have never used Power Pivot before and was a bit intimidated by it, but I just took a stab at it and indeed, it is exactly what I was looking for! It's still a lot of data to show on one page (and I have a small monitor!), but I can manage it!

Your help is much appreciated!

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    27th May 2020 - 11:16 AM