UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Do You Implement A Business Idea.    

Jaiket
post Mar 15 2019, 08:30 AM
Post#1

Hello,
I am a street musician. I have no true business experience of databases. Having researched on and off for 10 years, mainly Access but also a lot of research literature on Access and connected subjects, I have reached a point where I could attempt a business venture.

I think I have an original data model with original features. Where do I go from here?

My research implies that I indeed have an original approach. I see it as a coherent sum of certain available solutions, viewed in a new light. I see the ERD approach as resulting in flawed entities, and I have developed a model that adresses this. There are many consequences of this tweak, some of which I believe can address a number of issues that are raised in academic papers on database modelling.
If the model is truly original, is there an advantage in keeping it secret? One major disadvantage is that of constraining the power of UA to help me move forwards.

I am aware that a data model is not a business idea. In the short-term, maybe I should develop the idea as a tool for my current business of selling concerts, and move towards offering data managment as a service once my model is market-proven.

If the idea is truly groundbreaking, how do I measure this without giving the concept away while I am still stuck in development.

Any thoughts?

--------------------
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 15 2019, 09:03 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

My first thought is that, frankly, it might be hard to prove you came up with a data model that is so unique as to be protected via copyright or registration.

That said, if the approach you take can be packaged and produced as a product that others would pay for, you should go for it.

First, I'd invest in research on relevant law regarding protection of Intellectual Property both in your legal jurisdiction and in whatever markets you'd target. Can you obtain such protection? If so, it might be worth the investment. But again, there are databases by the millions in service around the world. I wonder how you'd prove that this idea wasn't implemented prior to your discovery and development by at least one such system?

But that aside, you should probably pursue the opportunity anyway. Build and offer your solution to potential clients. But the very nature of distributing an Access FE/Access BE solution is that preventing someone from seeing your tables seems really hard to do.

I do know that there are such applications available. I own a license for one of them, in fact. Access Diff is distributed as an accde and does an in-depth comparison of two mdbs or accdbs. In that case, though, the most important aspect is the code, not the data model.

All in all, I'd say it's worth a shot.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

projecttoday
post Mar 15 2019, 11:44 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

If the model is truly original

You need to find that out.

is there an advantage in keeping it secret?

Of course, if it is truly original.

One major disadvantage is that of constraining the power of UA to help me move forwards.

You can still ask specific questions.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

projecttoday
post Mar 15 2019, 11:49 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Also, you might want to consider something besides Access for creating marketable software. I think people in general are more open to the idea of buying a program rather that a database.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

Jaiket
post Mar 15 2019, 12:39 PM
Post#5

Thanks for the encouragement, GPG,
I have looked into copyright, and I agree that it is unlikely, short of a highly detailed package containing all the elements and their implementation. The model is not dependant upon Access.

My first concern is to test for false premises or delusion - is something really there, or is it a house of cards, or a mirage.

Robert, how do I approach finding out if the model exists without showing it to experts in the field?

What really motivates me is that it is based upon simplification. When things are simple, structural problems are revealed with great clarity, and "that's the way it is done" loses a deal of it's power.

I have no problem with "That's the way it is done because...". I have trouble with "That's just the way it is."
This post has been edited by Jaiket: Mar 15 2019, 12:39 PM

--------------------

Jaiket
post Mar 15 2019, 12:49 PM
Post#6

I fully agree with the program vs database idea. Here in France, programs are called "Applis" or "Apps", its a buzz-word.

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd October 2019 - 11:16 AM