UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Interfaces, Access 2010    

FrankRuperto
post Oct 25 2019, 11:36 AM
Post#21

No worries isladogs, I respect your opinion. When I first developed this pawnshop app in year 1985 with Informix-SQL on Altos MS Xenix, the Wyse dumb terminal displays were all green screens and users complained it was harder to distinguish data. So I created a PC-DOS version which supported colors and my users have liked it ever since. To date I have not had any new users request I get rid of multiple color scheme or change background to white and use black fonts, but I will gladly oblige if they request any cosmetic or functional changes.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Oct 25 2019, 11:40 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 26 2019, 09:50 AM
Post#22

UA Admin

I've heard the "Christmas Tree" description in the past, and usually I agree that lighting up a number of different controls in what appears to be a random manner can be distracting. On the other hand, coding like you describe -- Green means one thing across an app, red means another -- can be helpful, I believe.

I usually rely on conditional formatting, for example, to call out exceptions or values "out of bounds" in a datasheet.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

FrankRuperto
post Oct 26 2019, 10:39 AM
Post#23

I do make use of color-coding sparingly, as I dont want it to look confusing. The only coloring I am using in datasheets is a red background via conditional formating when the number of elapsed days for a contract is >= 90. I also use this red conditional formatting when showing neagtive amounts.

On another note, some developers have told me that my app has an MS-DOS retro look to it. I counter that by saying the high-contrast look is easier on the eyes, saves energy and screen life, and this look is back in style, e.g. the money market user software.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Oct 26 2019, 11:17 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  frmCustSubContracts.PNG ( 14.42K )Number of downloads: 18
Attached File  Discount.PNG ( 39.93K )Number of downloads: 25

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

DanielPineault
post Oct 26 2019, 12:57 PM
Post#24

UtterAccess VIP

Some color will enhance the user experience, while too much is distractive. That said, Frank's design seems well balanced.

One way or another using green and red for numeric numbers is quite common. I have a systems where the button change color based on the status and the background color changes based on other criteria. When it is well done it is very beneficial.

Hey, at the end of the day, if the client is happy, that is all that matters!

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    9th December 2019 - 09:05 PM