UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has Anyone Used Volgistics, Not applicable    

femalegiraffe
post Feb 20 2018, 06:33 PM
Post#1

Hello,
I am new to the world of data and Access (began my studies less than a year ago). I volunteer for a mammal health care facility that is expanding its databases and contemplating Volgistics for the volunteers.

I can find very little online about this software! Yet its site says it's widely used.

Does anyone have experience in it? I have about 12 questions and would love it if a kindly fellow nerd could help out.

Of course I'm gently pushing Access because . . . . Access. However the facility's director is pro-Volgistics, because the volunteer coordinator is pro-Volgistics (I've sent my questions to her but (a) she hasn't answered yet and (b) I'm not sure how extensively she worked with it.)

TYIA!
This post has been edited by femalegiraffe: Feb 20 2018, 06:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Feb 20 2018, 08:17 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Never used it. Never hear of it in any of the organizations I've been involved with.

Why not e-mail your questions directly to them?

From what I can tell this is an online system. Be careful going down this avenue. You are attached to the hip with them and at their mercy! Be sure you can extract your data (in a useable form) should you ever decide you wish to switch systems down the road. Some companies do not allow this!

The pricing also goes up quickly based on the number of volunteers, database users ... so it can become very costly, very quickly.

femalegiraffe
post Feb 21 2018, 12:44 PM
Post#3

Hi Daniel and thanks for your help.

I am finding answers to some of my yes-or-no questions via tutorials at the Volgistics site. I hesitate to contact them with questions like "How can your reports be customized?" or "How responsive is your support team?" Answers to those, from the seller, I always take with a handful of salt.

I am completely in agreement with your cautions about trusting an online system. I have had good experiences with MS support and I did point out to my volunteer supervisor that if we go with Access we've got MS behind us.

And, yes, one of my questions is "What happens to our data when we leave Volgistics?" As you point out, we have to make sure it would be in useable form and not a bunch of Volgistics code.

Good point about the pricing. Makes sense they would do that.

Two more things to add to my list of questions!

Thanks again!

DanielPineault
post Feb 21 2018, 12:56 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

with Access we've got MS behind us

I wouldn't say that! When was the last time Microsoft solved your database problem? They have yet to do so for me.

What I would say is that you have a whole community behind you (now they have helped me out more times than I can count!). Tons of resources, websites, forums, to consult and get help from so you aren't entirely at the mercy of the software developer. The other thing is Access is customizable. You can pretty much do what you want. This will not be the case with other packaged software.

Good luck with your investigating.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th September 2019 - 03:34 AM