UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barcode Scanner, Access 2016    

wheeledgoat
post Jul 29 2019, 09:23 AM
Post#1

Exciting times - dipping a toe into something I've no experience in: Barcode Scanners

I've done my homework and read all the threads here on UtterAccess and I'm left with a choice:

K.I.S.S. (usually the best policy) and just get a non-fancy USB one like this

Or go for the gold and look at a fancier one with 2-way communication. While not critically necessary, it would be pretty slick to be able to run around (within range of the device) and perform basic functions like inventory verification without being tied to the PC. But there seems to be no shortage of problems and complaints with these fancier ones (But then again no one complains when they work.)

Hoping to elicit some responses on first-hand experience with barcode scanners and perhaps unit recommendations... Thanks!

--------------------
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems." -Frank Wilczek

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -B.R. Hayden

Virtue is sufficient for happiness, therefore a sage is immune to misfortune.
Go to the top of the page

ranman256
post Aug 14 2019, 08:21 AM
Post#2

I got a simple scanner , that scans to a text file on the scanner.
then I connect it via USB to the pc, the access sees it as a file to import.
I run query to import the data.

Jackal
post Aug 16 2019, 11:49 AM
Post#3

I just completed a barcode project my work place.

Previously, we receive inventory manually using paperwork. As the number of items received is huge (more than 300 items), it takes quite a while and involves quite a few people so that we don't hold back the delivery driver while we count.

So I put together a simple Access system where barcode are being scanned and matched against the Purchase Order. It supports multiple barcode scanning (form timer interval of .15seconds). The incorporation of barcode scanning is pretty simple originally..using HID emulation (like a keyboard). However, when using 2 barcode scanner using HID, it jumbled up the input and it has a problem of not knowing which scanner is responsible for the correct scan. So I eventually modified it to use this scanner called Nadamoo BUR3003 which allows multiple scanners to operate using a virtual usb com port. I prefixed each scanner to have "x:" e.g. ScannerA input will be "A:99999" where 99999 is the barcode read. So the VBA module will strip out the first 2 characters and know it is from Scanner A.

So far its been working like a charm!

wheeledgoat
post Aug 16 2019, 02:05 PM
Post#4

Interesting... thanks for the info!

--------------------
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems." -Frank Wilczek

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -B.R. Hayden

Virtue is sufficient for happiness, therefore a sage is immune to misfortune.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th October 2019 - 06:50 PM