UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Append Query In Access Updates Sharepoint Twice, SharePoint 2013    

bakersburg9
post Nov 19 2018, 03:03 PM
Post#1

OK, vaguest question ever - I couldn't find anything on the 'net about this - I have a very simple append query that uses a table in access to link to a table in sharepoint - when the query is ran, it adds the records twice ! Again, vague, but has anyone had this problem ? Any ideas ?
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Nov 19 2018, 03:28 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Can we see the SQL statement for the query? Have you tried temporarily converting it into a SELECT query just to verify how many records actually show up?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

bakersburg9
post Nov 19 2018, 03:37 PM
Post#3

DbGuy,
Yes - the select qry returns the correct #

CODE
INSERT INTO [Invoice Approvals] ( [Invoice Submission SLA], Title, [BP Company], [Legacy Company], [Invoice Number], [Invoice Type], [Week Ending Date], [Invoice Amount], [Invoice Status], [Date PO Requested], NOTES, GLID )
SELECT [AddPOreqSharepoint].[Invoice Submission SLA], [AddPOreqSharepoint].Title, [AddPOreqSharepoint].[BP Company], [AddPOreqSharepoint].[Legacy Company], [AddPOreqSharepoint].[Invoice Number], [AddPOreqSharepoint].[Invoice Type], [AddPOreqSharepoint].[Week Ending Date], [AddPOreqSharepoint].[Invoice Amount], [AddPOreqSharepoint].[Invoice Status], [AddPOreqSharepoint].[Date PO Requested], [AddPOreqSharepoint].NOTES, [AddPOreqSharepoint].GLID
FROM AddPOreqSharepoint;

theDBguy
post Nov 19 2018, 03:40 PM
Post#4

I see. Do you know if there's any code (workflow) running on the SharePoint side each time an item is added to a List?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

bakersburg9
post Nov 19 2018, 04:15 PM
Post#5

any code (workflow) running on the SharePoint side each time an item is added to a List
don't know - I'll have to open a ticket, probably - thanks for your input

theDBguy
post Nov 19 2018, 04:37 PM
Post#6

If there is, it should run no matter where the new data is coming from. So, try adding a new item to the list manually and see if it gets duplicated after a while (you may have to refresh the list view).

--------------------

bakersburg9
post Nov 19 2018, 04:59 PM
Post#7

dbGuy, I could try that, but we've BEEN doing it manually for a long time, and no duplication, but I'll give it a go....

theDBguy
post Nov 19 2018, 05:04 PM
Post#8

Hi,

I was just offering another way to find the answer to my curiosity without having to submit a ticket and wait for a response (although it would be a more official answer). So, if you have been able to manually create a new item in the List without seeing any duplicates, then we can assume there are no workflows in action to make those duplicates you're seeing when using Access.

--------------------

bakersburg9
post Nov 19 2018, 06:08 PM
Post#9

DbGuy,
that's a good call, because I could SWEAR that I've run the append query, checked it out, and some time later discovered there's dups - it's funny, because a while back I set up a process to check for dups, and no one was impressed at all - but now, it's saving my bacon, haha.....

thanks again,

Steve

theDBguy
post Nov 19 2018, 06:11 PM
Post#10

Does your query prevent creation of duplicates now? If not, would it be possible someone just happened to run the same query again at a later time?

--------------------

bakersburg9
post Nov 19 2018, 06:40 PM
Post#11

Not possible someone else ran a query .000001% chance, anyway - haven't had a chance to test it

theDBguy
post Nov 19 2018, 10:31 PM
Post#12

Do you think it would help if you (somehow) modify your query to not create (I mean prevent it) duplicates?

--------------------

bakersburg9
post Nov 20 2018, 10:24 AM
Post#13

modify query to not create duplicates?
Can't think of how to do that . . .

theDBguy
post Nov 20 2018, 10:54 AM
Post#14

It was just a thought. I was just wondering whether it would help or not. Probably not...

--------------------

bakersburg9
post Nov 26 2018, 02:30 PM
Post#15

OK, this is really interesting - BTW, I don't have admin rights because I'm not an employee of the company, so I have a guy run it who is - because he's doing me a favor, I didn't want to say anything, but I thought there was a chance he was running it twice accidentally - so we thought we were out of the woods - it wasn't adding records twice - so TODAY, he runs it, and it added the records twice again EXCEPT the first record!!! hmmmm.... does that give you any ideas, dbGuy ?

theDBguy
post Nov 26 2018, 03:51 PM
Post#16

Hi Steve,

You might try using a query that creates only one record to see if it will duplicate the new record. Then, try a query that creates two records just to see if it will duplicate one of them.

Just a thought...

--------------------

bakersburg9
post Nov 27 2018, 04:07 PM
Post#17

dbGuy - Update - I think I already told you that the first record wasn't duplicated - the rest were - the guy that ran the macro (I don't have the proper permissions) said it "failed" due to errors - and he re-ran it - trying to figure out how to troubleshoot this thing

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2018 - 11:03 AM