UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sharing Db Backend Through...?, Access 2016    

dj88c
post Jul 10 2019, 03:03 PM
Post#1

I've started to set up my Access db (it's a relational database with a number of junction tables for connecting employees, employee info, and projects they're on) and split it into two, front end with all the forms and the back end with all the tables that contain the data and junctions.

I now would like to share this with a small group of managers. My options are... limited though? I have access to Sharepoint and OneDrive in my business. What's the best way to share the backend database assuming that everyone can get the latest front end at any point in time.

Thanks again for the help!

-Dan
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jul 10 2019, 03:07 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Dan. I'm afraid the quick answer is neither of those options. If you and your users have access to SharePoint and your database needs are minimal, then you might consider uploading/converting your data tables into SharePoint Lists. You can then connect the Front End database to those Lists. Using OneDrive or DropBox would most likely result in data corruption.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

dj88c
post Jul 10 2019, 03:12 PM
Post#3

That's disappointing to hear... Is there a better option then? I really am concerned with having to distribute the full database and having everyone update it and having multiple copies floating around. Do you have a better suggestion that I could look into?

dj88c
post Jul 10 2019, 03:13 PM
Post#4

I also tried to convert to Sharepoint lists but it doesn't like that and finishes with errors on top of the fact that I'm not sure how to then use the data from the Sharepoint lists.

theDBguy
post Jul 10 2019, 03:56 PM
Post#5

Hi. Based on your limited option, the best approach, I think, is to use SharePoint Lists (provided we're not talking about a huge amount of data here). Converting a table to SP Lists should be easy. How many fields are we talking about? Worst case scenario is you create the Lists manually, and then move the data using a query. Otherwise, other options, if available, are SQL Server or Azure site for the backend, or use Remote Desktop Services, or Terminal Services like Citrix.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

nvogel
post Jul 10 2019, 04:28 PM
Post#6

I agree with the suggestion to use SQL Server (or a similar DBMS). Personal data about employees shouldn't be kept in an ACCDB.

dj88c
post Jul 11 2019, 11:18 AM
Post#7

Sounds like I'm stuck with Sharepoint then unless I move to SQL Server... frown.gif

The database doesn't have personal data, just what department they are working in but regardless I'm trying to keep it as secure as possible.

Thanks for the replies!

theDBguy
post Jul 11 2019, 11:25 AM
Post#8

Hi. You're welcome and good luck!

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th August 2019 - 08:54 AM