UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oh, There's Your Problem!    

haresfur
post Aug 7 2019, 08:21 PM
Post#1

Am I the only one who spends time carefully typing a question into UA, only to find my mistake when I preview the post? pullhair.gif

Thank you everyone for all the help you haven't had to give!

--------------------
-- Evan
Go to the top of the page

projecttoday
post Aug 7 2019, 08:57 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

No, you're not the only one. Sometimes when you define a problem so that others can understand it, when you lay it out in detail, you actually see it more clearly yourself. And then the solution dawns on you. Doesn't happen all the time but it does happen.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

jleach
post Aug 8 2019, 04:22 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

Ditto. Most times I write out a question, I review it to make sure I have all the info I need, and to address any of the questions that I know are forthcoming, and I find the answer there (oh, forgot to check that, let me verify so I can say I already looked into that part...). 9 out of 10, I'd say. Whatever works thumbup.gif

--------------------

PhilS
post Aug 8 2019, 05:31 AM
Post#4

Same here!

Writing a really good question quite often leads to the question answering itself.

When I gather and evaluate all the facts related to a problem, this often leads to the answer before I even finished writing the question. I can't state hard numbers but I guess this is the case in more than 75% of the problems/questions I start or prepare writing.

--------------------

orange999
post Aug 8 2019, 06:27 AM
Post#5

Evan,

I agree with the other responders --trying to edit a question to offer more detail and/or clarity often results in "more analysis and thought" (as you type) providing solution(s) which make your original question redundant. Been there, often.

--------------------
Good luck with your project!

penfold098
post Aug 8 2019, 07:52 AM
Post#6

This reminds me of the problem-solving method called the Rubber Ducky Method.

You keep a rubber duck near your workstation. If you are stuck on a problem, you hold up the rubber duck and explain it to him/her. By the time you are done, the answer should come to you.

Don't have a rubber duck? A coworker will suffice... and they do not even need to give you their full attention. laugh.gif

nuclear_nick
post Aug 8 2019, 07:57 AM
Post#7

Just so I can toss my hat...

Done that too. More times to count.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th August 2019 - 03:23 AM