UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Move Or Copy, Access 2010    

Larry Larsen
post Feb 18 2020, 12:24 PM
Post#1

UA Editor + Utterly Certified

Hi

Just a quick question regarding to the above title..

To Move a file or Copy a file..?? (file size 1 gig Max)

Is there any speed difference in either of the processes..

thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Time...We have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein"
H. Jackson Brown
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Feb 18 2020, 12:34 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

I'd say none because a move is simply a copy and delete process, I believe.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 18 2020, 12:38 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

Minor, if at all.

Move involves two steps, copy, then delete.

Copy involves one step, copy.

I suspect the minor difference in deleting the original is too small to notice in most cases.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Larry Larsen
post Feb 18 2020, 12:42 PM
Post#4

Hi DB..

Thanks.. Its just I'm moving/copy a number of files (number & size may vary)..

I get the "donut" ring and the message in the Access bar saying that access is "Not Responding".

I get my final message (Done) and no errors and all files have been processed..
iconfused.gif
thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Time...We have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein"
H. Jackson Brown

kfield7
post Feb 18 2020, 12:45 PM
Post#5

Would that be because Access itself is not doing the copy, but rather just waiting on the OS to finish?

Larry Larsen
post Feb 18 2020, 12:51 PM
Post#6

Hi

Great suggestion.. any way of smarting up the time lag..?? (replace donut ring..)

Can the message be hidden..??

All cosmetic I know.. compute.gif
thumbup.gif

--------------------
H. Jackson Brown

theDBguy
post Feb 18 2020, 01:29 PM
Post#7

UA Moderator

Hi Larry. I have a folder backup utility I created for work. What I do is display the file being processed at the bottom of the form (I could have used the Status bar, I suppose). So, the user will see something like:

CODE
Processing file 3 of 65. "C:\FolderName\FileName.ext"

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

AlbertKallal
post Feb 18 2020, 02:09 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

Moving a file is a zillion times faster.

Try from windows explore the following:

Click on a 1 gig file. Now right click, and choose "cut".

Now, navigate to another folder, and hit paste. NO MATTER how large the file is, it occurs in a flash - in a instant!

Why?

Well, when you cut a file, and then hit paste, behind the scenes you are doing a "move". In fact what windows does is ONLY copy the directory entry!

Moving a "tiny" director entry will occur just as fast if you move a 1k tiny file, or a massive 2 gig file (try the above).

If you copy the file? Then a actual WHOLE copy of the file is made. And then you can go back to the original folder and delete the original file.

This process and trick actually goes all the way back to the DOS days. Even back then, you could use the "move" at the command line prompt.

So, be it using DOS command line, or the windows explore? A right click, copy, jump to another folder and hit paste? You copy the file, and then go back to orgnal folder and delete the file. This WILL take a lot of time for a large file!

Now, try the SAME thing, but this time right click on the file and choose "cut". Now navigate to another folder and go paste. You see that it occurs instant, and takes the SAME time regardless of the file size. When you do this, you are ONLY moving the directory entry. In effect, it like moving a pointer from one location to another. So ONLY the directory "entry" is moved, and it still actually point to the actual file stting on the disk drive.

The same process can be used for a folder. That folder might have 10 gigs of files in it. You can cut and paste that folder to a new location - it occurs in a flash.

So, yes, move or copy is a rather different process. Moving a file actually means you only are moving the directory entry or pointer. A copy means you are actually taking a whole new copy of the file - that takes a lot of disk i/o.

So, while coping a file to a new location and deleting the original results in the same thing, what occurs behind the scenes is significantly different.

So, be it one file, or a folder with 2000 files? You can move such folders to a new location and do so in a "instant" of time, the folder files are not actually copied, but only the "folder" pointer is moved.

Try it now. Go find a large folder say inside of my documents. Right click, choose cut. Now say go to your desktop and hit paste. With 1 file, or 10,000 files, the folder will MOVE instant. When done, put the folder back were it was.

And if you are glutten for punishment, now right click on that folder and choose copy. Now go to desktop and hit paste. You see a huge long time delay, and even see the file copy progress bar pop up.

So, any time you cleaning up or have to move things around on your computer? You most certainly want to use "cut" and "paste" as opposed to copy and paste. The difference is nothing short of spectuclar.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Larry Larsen
post Feb 19 2020, 04:20 AM
Post#9

Hi Albert

Many thanks for that detailed approach and will try and use/remember that in the future..

And hope many others who visit us here at UA will be enlightened by some of the "snippets & trickery" that unfold.

Again many thanks..

Larry
thumbup.gif

--------------------
H. Jackson Brown

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    8th April 2020 - 04:05 PM