UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1 Access Database - Multiple Sites?, Not applicable    

heyleese
post May 7 2019, 08:53 AM
Post#1

I've developed a successful database. It's a split multi-user access database with the data accessed from our local server and the front end is local

It's so successful, management wants to implement it in multiple sites globally and share the data.

It works. But it's slow. So slow that it's unusable. So it doesn't work.

What are my options? Can we have multiple backends and replicate that data back to a master backend? SharePoint?

Are there any simple solutions that I can do myself without purchasing additional software?
Go to the top of the page

Doug Steele
post May 7 2019, 09:05 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Is SQL Server a possibility for your backend?

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

GroverParkGeorge
post May 7 2019, 09:21 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

In addition to Doug's suggestion, a couple of comments.

It would be unwise, I think, to try either a multiple accdb/merge process (head-aches soon to follow) or SharePoint (less than adequate performance).

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

heyleese
post May 7 2019, 10:13 AM
Post#4

Yes?

I have Oracle SQL Developer software, but my usage, experience, training is minimal.

GroverParkGeorge
post May 7 2019, 10:45 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

That is the software you'd use to work with the ORACLE database. Does that mean you have the option of using Oracle?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

DanielPineault
post May 7 2019, 10:47 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Refer to http://www.devhut.net/2016/09/24/access-ba...edrive-dropbox/ (the What are the Alternatives Then? section)

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2018 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

heyleese
post May 7 2019, 01:50 PM
Post#7

I'm not sure if I have the option of using Oracle. How would I know for sure?

Also, I'm downloading MySQL.

I've read the devhut section. Most options are not an option for me. I'm glad to have options, I just don't know which I should pursue.

I've tried remote desktop - too many users, the company keeps taking the desktops we designate. Citrix is not an option. I don't know TeamViewer or Terminal Services. I've never heard of or used Azure, I'm not sure my company would let me put data "in the clouds"

Thanks everyone, for your input, so far.

DanielPineault
post May 7 2019, 02:18 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

I just don't know which I should pursue.

It depends on your infrastructure and what IT will allow. I think at this point you need to sit down with IT and disclose your various options and see which one(s) they are will to support and then you can come back to us and we can try and help decide on which option would be optimal, but there is no point discussing all the options as you might not even be able to implement some of them.

--------------------

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

heyleese
post May 7 2019, 02:43 PM
Post#9

IT won't be supporting this, so can you help me narrow it down to what I can do without IT assistance and support?

MadPiet
post May 7 2019, 02:52 PM
Post#10

If you're trying to run a database engine like SQL Server or Oracle, you're out of luck. You can't install it or configure it without permissions on the server. If IT sets up SQL Server and designates you as an Admin, it might work. But SQL Server and Access are pretty different. I used Access for maybe 15 years before starting on SQL Server. Similar in a lot of ways, but also very different.

Oh, and one other thing... if you set up security in SQL Server to use Windows authentication, you would control who has access to which SQL Server objects by creating AD groups and then assigning permissions to those AD groups in SQL Server, so... that would be really fun too.
This post has been edited by MadPiet: May 7 2019, 02:53 PM

DanielPineault
post May 7 2019, 03:02 PM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

IT won't be supporting this, so can you help me narrow it down to what I can do without IT assistance and support?

There is no means for you to support a WAN based solution without some minimal setup/support from IT. They will need to perform minimal installation/configuration/setup... for you to then be able to take the reins.

I like the idea of both CITRIX or SQL Server (or Azure). Both of these require IT intervention for initial setup so you can have the necessary permissions to then do your thing. They need to tell you what is already available or what they are willing to setup for you to use, no way around that.

--------------------

tina t
post May 7 2019, 03:14 PM
Post#12

It's so successful, management wants to implement it in multiple sites globally and share the data.

well, it's your company's management who want a multi-site implementation. whether they have to listen to IT, or IT has to listen to them, depends on how high-up the management folks are. but i see that as their fight, not yours.

suggest you tell them that while the program you developed is great on a LAN, it can't be successfully implemented on a WAN. then suggest some options that you believe you can handle - or learn to handle - and tell them what support (setup, permissions, etc, as others have mentioned) will be needed from IT. and let them fight for it, or choose to abandon the idea, as they wish.

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

DanielPineault
post May 7 2019, 03:41 PM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

Tina has explained things quite nicely and she is right, that is exactly what needs to happen.

I have been down this road numerous times with many clients and their IT Depts. Many are very helpful, but there are cases in which IT don't want to know anything. As Tina stated, it is up to management to politely put their foot down and make IT do what is needed. That is most certainly not your role as a developer. Explain things to whomever wants things to progress to multiple sites, feel free to show them this thread, and then let them take it to the IT Dept for discussion.

--------------------

nvogel
post May 7 2019, 03:50 PM
Post#14

SQL Server (or Oracle) is a much better option than MySQL. All of them are free to download and use. As others have said, you will need support from your IT Department. It's not very realistic to think you can handle multiple locations across a network without the support of the team who are responsible for the network, servers and information security.

cheekybuddha
post May 7 2019, 04:28 PM
Post#15

UtterAccess VIP

>> SQL Server (or Oracle) is a much better option than MySQL <<

A rather tired and out of date sentiment, IMHO.

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

AlbertKallal
post May 7 2019, 05:09 PM
Post#16

UtterAccess VIP

The most easy to get this system running with good performance from all locations would be to adopt windows terminal server.

Or, if the company has Citrix (it really the same technology.

So, given that some IT infrastructure is in place now, then I would very much consider using windows terminal services. It would also mean that you don't have to modify the application, and all users from all locations would achieve good performance. In fact a laptop at a coffee shop with wi-fi would also work well.

So, access will not work well over a WAN as you have discovered. I explain this isuse here:

http://www.kallal.ca//Wan/Wans.html

Do read the above. Its just so amazing - time and time again, I see companies setting up WAN + vpn, and then they find out the network is too slow. That's why I wrote the above article.

But, right now? Most quick approach and least amount of effort on your part would be to adopt terminal services. It going to cost more then say using SQL server or some other database for the back end, but you then don't have to do a data migration, or change your existing application. (or at least the changes are the most minimal of any other choice you make).

Regards,
Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

WildBird
post May 7 2019, 07:25 PM
Post#17

UtterAccess VIP

It works. But it's slow. So slow that it's unusable. So it doesn't work.

This goes from It works, to It doesnt work in the same line...........

My thoughts are to use the concept of what you have. Get professionals in. You will be wasting time and money on anything that you dont understand. Explain how and what your system does without talking about any code or anything, get this documented by a Business Analyst, and get a professional who can work with IT dept to build it properly. may sound harsh, but trying to do a DIY approach to a global system will end badly and cost more money.

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    26th June 2019 - 02:59 AM