UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ux - Round Or Square    

jleach
post Jul 28 2020, 06:56 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess Administrator

Prior to UAv4 release, we're toying with the idea of having a "rounded" or "square" based theme (currently it's set up with rounded corners, but it's hardly a far stretch to go the other way... maybe later when we get into user-based theme selection, this can be incorporated as a preference setting).

Anyway, in doing some light research I came across this article, which I thought was actually really good: https://uxplanet.org/rounded-or-sharp-corne...ns-def3977ed7c4

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 28 2020, 07:21 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Wow, that's pretty powerful stuff. I'm going to pay attention over the next few days to those characteristics of elements at sites I visit.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

jleach
post Jul 28 2020, 07:24 AM
Post#3

I really thought the character shapes examples (and subsequent, typeface "shapes") was really cool. One of those rare, highly informative articles (for me at least, being a non-designer)

(and they used an Anthrax logo!! I'll have to go look up Persistence of Time or something now, haven't listened to Anthrax in probably 15 years)

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

FrankRuperto
post Jul 28 2020, 07:40 AM
Post#4

Although rounded looks cool, keep in mind rounded buttons reduce the capacity for content.
Microsoft also uses square Metro-style controls, and Apple and most Linux distros use rounded.
I used rounded buttons in my Access pawn app and wished I would've used square... too late now
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Jul 28 2020, 07:41 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

DanielPineault
post Jul 28 2020, 08:33 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

I hope you're making all your buttons glassy! dance.gif

Rounded - relaxed, easy going, ...
Square - Business, professional, more abrasive

So they say.

At the end of the day this is all very subjective (eye of the beholder and all...). More important is layout, color selection, ...

Also, square to rounded is merely a CSS change (when talking about HTML) so you could even go wild and make that a user option!? I had a website for a client in which the user could simply select the theme they preferred (light, dark, ...). With modern CSS and database driven code it is trivial.

As for Metro style, please NO! It is butt ugly and abrasive (remind me of old 80's dialogs). Anything but!!!

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2020 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Gustav
post Jul 28 2020, 08:39 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Count me in for a rectangular theme. The metro/modern design was/is a masterpiece, and I miss my Windows Phone and its superior design (including its tones, by the way).

Sadly, Microsoft bit by bit violates it, for example in Edge Chromium when compared to the original Edge.

My humble contributions:

VBA.ModernBox
VBA.ModernTheme
Bring Windows Phone ringtones to iPhone

--------------------
Microsoft Office 365 (Access) MVP 2017 ->

FrankRuperto
post Jul 28 2020, 09:08 AM
Post#7

As to colors, white and bright colored backgrounds personally affect my vision. I suffer from photophobia, so accesibility options such as a dark theme and reverse video would be welcomed.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

jleach
post Jul 28 2020, 09:23 AM
Post#8

We do have a dark theme planned, but it's not at the forefront right at the moment.

We're scheduled to go live on August 8th. After the dust settles a dark theme (and appropriate user options) will be toward the top of the list. We've already started playing around with it a bit (we're working up an internal operations management portal for Dymeng, and I stole the UAv4 base for it, and converted it to the color scheme used on www.dymeng.com - what I currently have is rough around the edges, but it's a dark theme and looks decent for the hour or so I put into it)

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

jleach
post Jul 28 2020, 09:32 AM
Post#9

(incidentally, we used square corners for that as well)

Attached File  Screenshot_2020_07_28_10.29.30.png ( 85.87K )Number of downloads: 11

(disclaimer: I'm no designer by any stretch of the imagination... certainly I'd have someone who knows what they're doing handle it for UA)

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

FrankRuperto
post Jul 28 2020, 10:09 AM
Post#10

Cool, that's soothing to my eyes.

Here's an interesting article in the same uxplanet website you provided about "Neumorphism" design, a la iPhone UI style, versus "Skeuomorphism" and "Flat" designs.
https://uxplanet.org/neomorphism-the-hottes...20-8bd65de77a5e

What is the default UI style for your CSS design tool?
Does the tool allow you to globally change the style for all elements?

I guess it boils down to how much extra time does it add to the project when choosing to use a different style.

This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Jul 28 2020, 10:21 AM

--------------------

jleach
post Jul 28 2020, 10:18 AM
Post#11

It's custom CSS (e.g., not bootstrap, etc) and reasonably well factored, so while it would have to be changed for each major class of element, it's not particularly difficult or time consuming. It's one of those lot-of-bang-for-the-buck scenarios: themes aren't particularly difficult to implement and of course have significant effect, so... I expect setting it up as a user setting and correctly applying the target styles per setting will take longer than the theme itself, design decisions unconsidered.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

FrankRuperto
post Jul 28 2020, 10:21 AM
Post#12

.. And since you're mimicking UAv3's layout, here's another uxplanet article about using another website as a reference when designing a new one:
https://uxplanet.org/how-to-use-references-...gn-18c1304993b6

It's very different when you are designing a UI from scratch, versus updating an existing one. Users get used to seeing things in the same places, even if the original design could've been done better.
Reminds me of when I added new features to my pawn app. I always append new fields at the end of a table, new form controls after existing one's without really changing the original design, albeit sometimes reducing their sizes when necessary.

We all know what happened when MS decided to change from the Windows 7 UI to the new Metro-style design.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Jul 28 2020, 11:03 AM

--------------------

Gustav
post Jul 28 2020, 02:56 PM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

(incidentally, we used square corners for that as well)

Neat and clean and a relief to the eyes.
A good example, that simpler is better.

--------------------
Microsoft Office 365 (Access) MVP 2017 ->

AlbertKallal
post Jul 28 2020, 04:14 PM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

I tend to like the rounded themes.

So, we went from something like this:

To now this:

At the end of the day this will come down to one’s taste.

But I CAN SAY that un-like most desktop software?
Software that is used “internal” by a company?

The look and feel is NOT all that important.

But, for public or a site for customers?

Well, then how the quality of the software, the qualitity of company will be VERY much determined by the look and feel.

Great code, really bad code? Don’t matter!

However, the first impressions are important.

In fact, I much wish that Visual Studio had some great themes out of the box, and a slew of style sheets. It is WAY but WAY too much work to get what I consider a decent look and feel.

Sure, one will “finally” over time get all the CSS and stuff worked out, but the whole layout and theme business is something I consider a real shortcoming of Visual Studio.

To be fair, this challenge exists in most systems.

But, look at how great Access v1 was! The pre-themes was BRILLENT – just BRILLENT!

So, you just drop things onto a form, and you get this:

And even here – note the icons/graphics on the 3 top buttons:

Ever try to put a graphic on a asp.net button? Oh, man, talk about spending time in the salt mines!

Again: once you done it a few times, then you cut + paste what you did.

In other words? A good designer and some good themes would REALLY REALLY REALLY help Visual Studio in a huge way.

Yes, after time you build up the library of bits and parts, and then quite much forget about how you even did these things.

But, look and feel, good taste in text/fonts etc?

All that jazz?

It needs to be the DEFAULT for JUST the efforts of coding out a web application.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

jleach
post Jul 29 2020, 04:56 AM
Post#15

Hi Albert - what kind of web apps are you making? You can start off with a $20 bootstrap theme that looks decent out of the box and has 90% of the design/theme work done for you already. Granted, Visual Studio makes a relatively poor frontend development tool (I much prefer VS Code for web FE development), but still I think it's more a given that you're on your own in terms of design capabilities (though adding an image to a button should be the work of minutes regardless of your platform).

I remember my WPF days (Making the Impossible Easy and the Easy Impossible) and trying to change a button's border color. I could make a video dance across the screen in an hour but it took me weeks of deep study to figure out how to change that border property... nice system once it's learned, but what a learning curve.

I don't think I've seen a "themable" web thing since jQueryUI... their theme designer felt half baked and even then I didn't really use it because the jQueryUI libraries were ridiculously heavy. I suspect these days tools offered by Telerik and DevExtreme probably have decent theme support built in, but I'm not aware of any IDE that has this type of functionality build-in for the web dev end of things.

I feel like CSS itself is one of those "if you know what you're doing and do it right and don't make it a tangled mess, it's not too bad, but if you loose your grip for a minute it's a downward spiral from there" type things. SCSS and LESS can help considerably on the color end of things, but there's a bit of a learning curve for the build tooling involved for one that's not used to it.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    5th August 2020 - 05:34 AM