UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Divide Students Into Specific Groups, Access 2010    

Ayiramala
post Aug 24 2019, 10:05 PM
Post#1

Hi,

I have been trying to do this for some time, without much success:

This is the situation: I want to divide all the students in various classes into certain groups for examination purposes. My idea is this: I will specify (on a form) the number of students who should sit in each room. If there are ten desks in a room it can accommodate 30 students. Students of Class A should sit on the left, Class B on the right, and Class C in the middle. When Class A is over, it should be followed by Class D. And so on for the other classes too. Again. I will specify all this on the form. Then I should get reports of seating arrangements of all the rooms.

This is the idea. As I said, I had partial success with it. I ended up creating long union queries, but I am wondering if there is a better, more efficient way to do it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Aug 25 2019, 07:56 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. Have you tried using VBA?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Ayiramala
post Aug 26 2019, 04:36 AM
Post#3

Hi,
I should have explained what I have done..
First, I used a function to serialise the students(separately, by their classes. The classes have names like XI A, XI B, etc.). Then these serial numbers were concatenated to their class names, and I got XI A -1, XI A - 2, and so on.
Then I created a form where I could select class names, and pair them as I wanted. I mean, which class should come after XI A, for example. I also gave text boxes where I could enter the number of students who should come in a room. Please see the image.
Then I created union queries which would join these pairs. Then three reports were made based on these queries, and these three were added to a main report. Then I formatted these reports by using a row counter in the details section of these reports, and got a somewhat satisfactory result(Please see the other image).

As you can see, only one text box is given on the form to set the number of students in each room. If I set 10, it will be ten for all rooms. It is here where I need a bit more control. I would like to specify this number for each room separately. Could this be done?

Again, this is what I have done. I would surely like to know if there is another, better way to do this.
This post has been edited by Ayiramala: Aug 26 2019, 04:40 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  report.jpg ( 45.62K )Number of downloads: 1
Attached File  Untitled.jpg ( 24.02K )Number of downloads: 1

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th September 2019 - 07:30 PM