UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Horizontal Vs. Vertical Data Display On Subform, Access 2016    

Raas
post Aug 18 2019, 07:16 PM
Post#1

Is it possible to design a subform to display its data horizontally rather than vertically?
Go to the top of the page

June7
post Aug 18 2019, 08:08 PM
Post#2

This would likely utilize a CROSSTAB query and the resulting dataset would not be editable.

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.
DEBUG! DEBUG! DEBUG! http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DebuggingVBA.aspx

RJD
post Aug 18 2019, 09:50 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Raas: You have already been dealing with Crosstab queries in your Nutrients application we worked on, but June7 referred to the key question: what is the purpose of the subform, what does it look like and will you need to update the values displayed?

HTH
Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

Raas
post Aug 18 2019, 11:21 PM
Post#4

Hi again: Yes, it needs to be editable. It's just the months that a particular food is considered in season, but I didn't want the months listed vertically, but rather horizontally. So far the most months any one food can be considered in season is grapefruit, for 9 months - October through June. I can live with it vertically if Access has no provision for doing a horizontal display of the data.

Just hoping and wondering. Trying to learn.

Thanks all

Raas
post Aug 18 2019, 11:23 PM
Post#5

BTW Joe, the quote you have as part of your signature is one that I use to begin every semester. I teach philosophy at the University, and it's appropriate for technology!

projecttoday
post Aug 19 2019, 12:45 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

You could make the horizontal list with code that opens a popup form for making the update when the user clicks on the desired cell.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

dale.fye
post Aug 19 2019, 04:31 AM
Post#7

Robert is describing a similar technique to what I editing data displayed in a crosstab query, although the way I generally go about it is to:

1. Create the crosstab
2. create a make-table that takes the data from the crosstab and pushes it into a temp table
3. create the form (or subform from this make-table query)
4. Use the AfterUpdate event of the columns to call a procedure which actually updates the data in the original table based on the cell (row ID and column) you are editing.

This way, you are actually editing the data in the temp table, but are subsequently changing the data in the normalized table to coincide with these changes.

--------------------
Dale Fye
Microsoft Access MVP 2013-2016
Developing Solutions, LLC

Raas
post Aug 19 2019, 07:37 PM
Post#8

The table I want to work with has 3 fields. 1) the ID as autonumber, 2) A foreign key that is the Food, and 3) the Harvest Season of the food.

As RJD will tell you, and June7 also, I'm a total neophyte when it comes to crosstab. I tried to create a crosstab query using the wizard, but it wants some totals on fields that I don't want totaled.

Using a simple table such as this, can someone show me how to make a crosstab query that puts the names of the harvest months across the top, but ??? goes in the rows?

RJD
post Aug 19 2019, 08:38 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Raas: Since you must edit the months (season/harvest) for each food, I suggest you not use a horizontal form display to do that. Use a vertical arrangement. Then you can display the results horizontally wherever you wish. See the suggested form arrangement for entry in the attached demo, then see the reports for two different cuts on the data - list of foods with their harvest months, and list of months with the foods harvested then. This uses theDBguy's SimpleCSV function, included in the module section of the demo (Thanks again, DBguy).

See if this make sense and is helpful to what you are trying to achieve. In this case, as I have designed it, crosstab is not required.

Best regards - and I hope the demo will move the discussion forward a bit...

Joe
Attached File(s)
Attached File  HarvestSeason.zip ( 31.95K )Number of downloads: 2

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th September 2019 - 09:08 AM