UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Updating Information To An Opened Back-end, Access 2016    

marcuscatan
post Feb 7 2020, 10:56 AM
Post#1

Hello all! Thanks in advance to everyone willing to help laugh.gif

I've got a problem updating an specific table on my back-end.

I've got the back-end AND the tables in the enterprise network (ethernet), and the front-end copied in about 10 desktops.

My first guess was to go for a linked table (it's an Excel spreadsheet), but the problem is that with the queries within my forms it was impossible to input informations onto the forms when the network was down (and sadly this happens a little often).

I then figured I'd transform the linked table to local, it fix one problem but creates another. Now I need someone to go and update the table regularly (like once a week). And the huge problem behind this is: My workplace is 24/7 and someone will almost always have the file opened in one of the desktops. Which means I cannot update the table in the back-end manually.

My next guess (probabbly the worst one) was to make it local on the front end, not only this more than double its weigh but also every time it was updated I'd have to re-copy the front-end again to all PCs.

Is there any other option I'm not seeing here? Maybe a way to bypass the block in back-end to update the table even while someone has it opened?

I know the request is weird... Thanks a lot for looking into this.

Marcus Catan
This post has been edited by marcuscatan: Feb 7 2020, 10:56 AM
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Feb 7 2020, 12:33 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi Marcus. If you have multiple users updating separate data sources and have to synchronize them, then your job will not be an easy one. Is there no way to fix the network problem? Another option is to use an Internet data source. If the data is online, it should suffer less problems when the connection to it gets lost.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

marcuscatan
post Feb 7 2020, 01:03 PM
Post#3

As crazy as it might seem, I'm in a huge multinational, solving the network problem is kind of way out of my league... And yes, even being a huge high-end enterprise we have trouble getting ethernet to be stable and internet is far worse (we have internet in the staff / adm rooms but in the production sites, where the desktops that will use this form are, they have limited access). I guess it'll really come down to a decision between
1) Linked tables and not being able to use it in ethernet shortages
2) Making everyone close the file to update the back-end
3) Update the front-end and tell everyone to replace their copies for the new one available on the net

Right? frown.gif

Thanks a lot for your answer anyway!!

theDBguy
post Feb 7 2020, 01:20 PM
Post#4

UA Moderator

So, there is a big Excel spreadsheet that everyone needs to share and update, correct? First question, why is it an Excel spreadsheet? Why not a database table? Second question is, could someone's job be solely to keep that data updated? For example, all the changes made by the users can go through this person and that person can then update the Excel spreadsheet. They can also redistribute the updated version to all the users.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    7th April 2020 - 11:27 AM