UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Database Software That Won’t Die    

nvogel
post Oct 31 2019, 02:52 PM
Post#1

Trick or treat?

Microsoft Access: The Database Software That Won’t Die

But also, Jeremy Howard of fast.ai fame says Access was his favorite programming environment!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6XcP4JOHmk&t=187s
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 31 2019, 02:59 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

This got a lot of attention among some Access MVPs and former MVPs.

I hope I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth, but I will venture to say that many -- if not most -- of us made a pretty good living over 20+ years by using Access to solve the right problems with the right tools. That's not going to change, IMO, any time soon.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

jleach
post Nov 1 2019, 05:57 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess Administrator

My only complaint with the article is that he claims (as if it were fact) that Microsoft has actively tried to kill off Access a number of times. The MVPs at least know that this isn't the case: the Access team has always been passionate about Access (even if marketing hasn't given it much attention). Each of the attempts at webifying Access was not an attempt at "giving an exit path", but rather legitimate attempts to bring Access to the web (although their success in doing so obviously hasn't been wonderful). I think PowerApps actually made a lot of sense in terms of "giving up" on webifying Access: finally that had a platform that got more support than just the Access team, build on the larger Azure platform and utilizing its services. It's not quite Access on the Web, but it's the closest thing to it (close enough) and has the considerable support of other non-Access teams backing it.

I think also that the usage numbers stated in the article are quite low, but I don't think Microsoft themselves have an accurate count on that one (though probably much more accurate than any of our guesses).

All in all, it's quite impressive for any technology platform to live and thrive for 10 years, let alone more than double that.

Cheers,

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

cheekybuddha
post Nov 1 2019, 07:19 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Moderator

Brilliant video - just a shame I started watch it at about 12:30am and didn't realise it lasted over an hour! Feeling it this morning! sleeping.gif coffee1.gif

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

BruceM
post Nov 1 2019, 07:34 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

The article contains this nugget, in reference to Access 2010 or 2013 or something: "Gone was the ability to create an Access front end for a SQL Server database". That is simply incorrect.

What the author seems not to understand is that there is a lot of space between the simplistic database examples he mentions and an "ecommerce storefront". The linked article in the paragraph with the ecommerce reference mentions using Access for internal order tracking, and is vague on the architecture of the ecommerce site, but it seems they are two different things. Another point he seems to miss is that there are viable options for remote connectivity that do not involve the web.

Access has its limitations. So does everything. I'm not sure why the author felt a diatribe was necessary.

jleach
post Nov 1 2019, 08:03 AM
Post#6

Forgot about that one Bruce. Also he mentions these deprecated features as if it were a direct attempt to kill off Access by deprecating them, which is pretty much BS as well (each of the deprecated features was done so for specific reasons, often due to outside factors (e.g., reliance on other Office OMs that were changed, etc).

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

nuclear_nick
post Nov 1 2019, 09:31 AM
Post#7

He (the author of the article) also mentioned the demise of Minecraft... and I can tell you that my 11 and 18 year old girls play regularly, and I join them on the weekends when I can, and they just came out with new stuff I wanna say... just a few weeks ago?

The video, what I watched so far, was indeed fascinating. First time I've ever heard someone say what I'd thought for a while, about the difference between liking an environment to program in and the language itself. Really cool.

I'm so glad I hang out here... learn some really cool stuff, hang out with some interesting people...

uarulez2.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

jleach
post Nov 1 2019, 09:56 AM
Post#8

Demise of Minecraft? My son plays it all the time: it's on every device in the house (including my dev station, which he doesn't use smile.gif FTB FTW! (I particularly enjoy GregTech, but haven't cracked it open in a number of months))

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.

nuclear_nick
post Nov 1 2019, 10:29 AM
Post#9

"The first mistake was deciding not to execute Access in one step, like they had with Silverlight, PhotoDraw, Minecraft, and so many others."

Unless there's another 'Minecraft', but I only know of one, and Microsoft did buy it.

Bought my kids Kindle Fires about 5 years ago for Xmas. And headphones. Was a nice, quiet Xmas. smile.gif

Anyways... trying to get them into coding. Eldest so far wants to be a starving artist. Oh well. We'll see how the younger turns out.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

BruceM
post Nov 1 2019, 10:32 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

I started my adult life as a starving artist. It got old. Things do indeed change.

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 1 2019, 11:18 AM
Post#11

UA Admin

Ah, starving artist syndrome.

Still hoping to publish my first novel....

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
Beginning SQL Server

LeeAnn
post Nov 4 2019, 03:35 PM
Post#12

I started working on a Novel once then my hard drive crashed and like an idiot I had no backups. I am considering starting on it again.

--------------------
Lee Ann Davidson

orange999
post Nov 4 2019, 04:05 PM
Post#13

Some other comments on this "database software that won't die".
I feel the author completely missed or ignored the RAD aspect of Access and the ability to FE anything ODBC.
This post has been edited by orange999: Nov 4 2019, 04:05 PM

--------------------
Good luck with your project!

DanielPineault
post Nov 4 2019, 04:07 PM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

Microsoft has actively tried to kill off Access a number of times

His statement may not be false, there's simply no way to truly know. While the Access Team may be passionate, that doesn't mean that Corporate has invested as they should have, or have done with other applications. There is also the simple fact that in my experience, I have NEVER seen any marketing relating to Access, so they certainly aren't trying very hard, or at all, to promote the product. Add to that the deprecated features, tired and old UI and features still stuck in the 80's and one could easily argue MS is active not investing and hence trying to see it die a slow and painful death.

I think also that the usage numbers stated in the article are quite low, but I don't think Microsoft themselves have an accurate count

I agree! The problem here is that Access is now automatically install as part of O365, but installation doesn't equate to usage. Then add to that the runtime version, is that tracked? It would be fun to have proper number as his seem way out of wack IMHO.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

cheekybuddha
post Nov 5 2019, 02:16 PM
Post#15

UtterAccess Moderator

Perhaps this is what MS hopes will be their new RAD interface builder?

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

FrankRuperto
post Nov 21 2019, 06:53 PM
Post#16

HG Insights says they're tracking 141,804 companies using Access!
Looks like they're selling the mailing list reading.gif

https://discovery.hgdata.com/product/microsoft-access

P.S. The recent Office update that broke Access gives the impression that MS is trying to kill Access. Another customer just emailed me saying he wants to migrate away from anything MS, that makes 4 custs so far.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 21 2019, 07:50 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 21 2019, 07:17 PM
Post#17

UA Admin

That's just the companies THEY are "tracking", not the millions of organizations , including companies (large and small), that they don't track.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

FrankRuperto
post Nov 21 2019, 08:34 PM
Post#18

I agree George, there's many many more. Perhaps MS can get a better estimate of how many active post-Access 2007 apps are out there by tracking the number of times their latest security update that broke Access was uninstalled.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

FrankRuperto
post Nov 21 2019, 11:28 PM
Post#19

In the attached Access white paper published by MS in June 2006, on page 5 it says the following:

Over 1.4 million Access database templates were downloaded from the Microsoft Office Online Web site, www.office.microsoft.com, in 2004. The MSDN® Office Developer Center Access portal logged more than 3 million page views and downloads in 2004, averaging approximately 80,000 unique users per month.

An independent Web site, www.UtterAccess.com, which provides forums supporting Access, has registered over 90,000 members and has logged over 800,000 posts. On an average day, the UtterAccess.com site records over 500,000 page views, 100 new registered users, and 1,000 new posts.

With all the good things MS mentioned in the rest of this paper, you can't say they didn't make any effort to promote Access, but that was almost 14 years ago.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 21 2019, 11:40 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  MicrosoftOfficeAccessVision.zip ( 1.21MB )Number of downloads: 6

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2019 - 12:24 PM