UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Control Panel Settings & Sending Pm's Not Working    

FrankRuperto
post Nov 5 2018, 07:08 AM
Post#1

Today I replied to isladog's PM, but my reply does not appear in the sent folder.
Yesterday I unchecked the DST time adjustment box and pressed save in my control panel, but today the DST box appears checked.

--------------------
Currently supporting many Pawnshops that use my Management System with Access 2010 on Windows7. Ham Radio addict since 1978.
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post Nov 5 2018, 07:23 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

>> Today I replied to isladog's PM, but my reply does not appear in the sent folder. <<

You must explicitly choose to save a copy of each pm you send.

Before sending, scroll down and you will find the checkbox. Annoyingly, it is out of sight at first.

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

FrankRuperto
post Nov 5 2018, 07:29 AM
Post#3

Thanks David, I was looking for a "save sent PM's" checkbox in the control panel. Another reason my PM reply did not get sent was because I only pressed the "Continue (submit)" button, and didnt see the "send message" button out of view below. I thought sending a PM would work the same way when you press "Continue (submit)" when replying to a post.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 5 2018, 07:58 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting many Pawnshops that use my Management System with Access 2010 on Windows7. Ham Radio addict since 1978.

cheekybuddha
post Nov 5 2018, 08:09 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I think 'Continue (submit now)' will send the message.

isladogs mentioned in the other thread that he did receive your pm

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

FrankRuperto
post Nov 5 2018, 08:19 AM
Post#5

That's correct, David. I didnt click the "Save a copy to my sent folder" checkbox before sending the PM reply so when I didnt find the reply in the sent folder I assumed it never got sent. The hidden "Send Message" button is also misleading to me because if "Continue (submit now)" sends the message, why also have a "Send Message" button?
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 5 2018, 08:20 AM

--------------------

cheekybuddha
post Nov 5 2018, 08:45 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Like in Access, more than one way to accomplish the same result! wink.gif

Agreed, it's superfluous and confusing.

thumbup.gif

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 5 2018, 09:06 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

Thanks for reporting your confusion.

It is true that one must learn how to use the features of each new platform one uses, and UtterAccess is no exception.

It seems you've managed to learn how the PM function works.

Thanks for contributing.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Visit My Blog on Facebook

FrankRuperto
post Nov 5 2018, 09:31 AM
Post#8

You are welcome, George.. Next up, I still have to figure out why my control panel settings are not remaining permanent after I make a change iconfused.gif

--------------------

isladogs
post Nov 5 2018, 10:04 AM
Post#9

Having also forgotten to save one of my PM replies to Frank, it's long been an irritation that there appears to be no way of making the 'save message to my sent items folder' setting permanently on here at UA (though it can be set at all the other forums I frequent).

If I'm wrong about that, I would really like to know how it can be done.
Otherwise, as I've requested before, could that be added please.
It will mean that I reach the PM folder limit sooner but I can prune messages periodically anyway.

ghubbell
post Nov 7 2018, 09:42 PM
Post#10

UA Administrator

Now defaulting to 'save a copy'.

There's over 15,000 pms in here crazy.gif ... consider doing your pruning on a regular basis please.

HTH,

Gord

isladogs
post Nov 8 2018, 04:09 AM
Post#11

Thank you and will do.

FrankRuperto
post Nov 8 2018, 06:11 AM
Post#12

Thank you, Gord! I deleted several messages from my inbox and sent folders. Most of them were back_and_forth replies of the same subject, so I kept the latest one's which contain copies of all the previous replies in them. Perhaps other UA members can trim down their messages to help lower the ~15K messages you mentioned. I can imagine the images and zipped attachments consume a large amount of storage space. If I delete any of my attachments in "My Control Panel" > "Manage Your Attachments", will that also remove them from my posts?
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 8 2018, 06:55 AM

--------------------

ghubbell
post Nov 8 2018, 09:21 AM
Post#13

UA Administrator

Morning Frank - and to all, you're welcome.

Deleting attachments as you mentioned I do believe, will remove them completely. You're welcome to try a test say, off of this thread and see how things behave.

If the reaction is that the attachment to the post gets tossed, I'll probably remove access to that option. It doesn't seem right that you may upload something and a thread evolves / revolves around it, only to have it vanish either intentionally or otherwise.

Yes, there's a heap of 'shtuff' in here. At the moment, I am moving a copy locally for safe keeping and we are just shy of 100,000 'objects', not counting the databases. ohyeah.gif

To be honest (after the shock wore off), I actually wouldn't worry about deleting too, too much as we're on a dedicated Amazon EC2 server in Oregon and it (don't ask me how), simply adjusts itself to our capacity needs and speed requirements. Brilliant concept. That and the space we require is no longer the issue it used to be. Best as I understand, if we need more space it just 'makes' more space, and website real estate is relatively inexpensive these days.

Enjoy!

Gord

FrankRuperto
post Nov 8 2018, 12:57 PM
Post#14

Deleting attachments as you mentioned I do believe, will remove them completely. You're welcome to try a test say, off of this thread and see how things behave.

If the reaction is that the attachment to the post gets tossed, I'll probably remove access to that option. It doesn't seem right that you may upload something and a thread evolves / revolves around it, only to have it vanish either intentionally or otherwise.

Okay so in "Manage My Attachments" I deleted the image that appears in post #3 of this thread and the image still appears in the post. So correct me if I'm wrong, everytime we upload an attachment that gets published with a post, a copy also gets stored in our attachments folder and we can delete our copy without vanishing it from the post.

Yes, there's a heap of 'shtuff' in here. At the moment, I am moving a copy locally for safe keeping and we are just shy of 100,000 'objects', not counting the databases. ohyeah.gif

To be honest (after the shock wore off), I actually wouldn't worry about deleting too, too much as we're on a dedicated Amazon EC2 server in Oregon and it (don't ask me how), simply adjusts itself to our capacity needs and speed requirements. Brilliant concept. That and the space we require is no longer the issue it used to be. Best as I understand, if we need more space it just 'makes' more space, and website real estate is relatively inexpensive these days.

Elastic2 is a great cloud product that scales well. I have some customers that use the economical Spot Instance plan for Windows, however higher tiers can quickly become expensive.
Although UA storage may not be a concern, I have always been a believer of "Smaller is faster, cheaper, and easier to maintain!". Another factor is connection time. If I login to UA, forget to logout, and go play golf, will the UA session autologout after X time of inactivity?

Thanks...Frank

--------------------

ghubbell
post Nov 8 2018, 03:17 PM
Post#15

UA Administrator

Hi Frank,
Thanks with the attachments test - cool to know. I wonder if the deletion changes your 'limit' (if we have one - I don't recall).

I do agree with the minimalist attitude 100% and that's one of the reasons a heap of things here...we do without. It would be even more given time and energy as the real reason behind the site is the words it contains, not the way things are displayed all fancy-like or some other silly 'features' that only get touched by very few. A "majority wins" thing is pretty much how it has always been but within reason of course.

It looks like things are set to time-out after an hour of idle time. I'd say that's an approximation as I suspect the script that does the checking isn't running constantly.

There's a key that's generated as well for every login, and that gets pitched after 3 days regardless. Hopefully your golf match doesn't take that long... or hey, maybe it does and if so, enjoy the weather. wink.gif

Thanks again Frank,

Gord cheers.gif

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th November 2018 - 01:01 PM