UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Naming Versions Of Queries During Development, Access 2013    

home70
post Nov 4 2019, 11:06 AM
Post#1

First, I'll say, because maybe it matters, that at this point I am a plodder at writing queries that combine multiple tables in multiple ways and/or use any but the more basic commands. I don't create db's much, so writing queries does not come naturally to me at all (yet. Maybe one day, I hope, bc I do love Access's abilities.).

My question is, what is the best way to name my queries as I am developing and testing and building on them?

I tend to want to save each version in case I want to refer back to it. But I can't find a way to name them that tells what it does because what it does really cannot be specified without looking at the entire text of it.

Is there a good system I could use? Or does anyone have advice on this process?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

Daniel_Stokley
post Nov 4 2019, 11:18 AM
Post#2

Hello,

I like to start my query names with a two part prefix, then a short description, then, if necessary, a version number.

For example: qry_A01_BuildTableA: qry is the first part of the prefix; A01 is the second part of the prefix; BuildTableA is a short description.

In the case of that example, if I decide I want to replace it, I will make a copy and name the copy qry_A01_BuildTableA_V1. The active or current version doesn't have a version number; only earlier versions. That way, if another query uses qry_A01_BuildTableA as a source, I will not have to rewrite that other query.

HTH, Daniel

DanielPineault
post Nov 4 2019, 11:21 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

This is entirely a personal preference.

I like to always include a date, sometime time, stamp so they can be easily sorted.

The critical thing isn't the exact format, but more that you stick with whatever you choose.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 4 2019, 11:28 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Each person probably has their own preferences, although there are some commonly adopted approaches. Here are some thoughts.

I prefer full names over abbreviations and acronyms.

"apdNewProjectDetails", not "apdNewPD", and so on.

While you may remember that PD is short for ProjectDetails today, three weeks from now, that may be less clear.

I use prefixes to sort queries according to type:

"apdXXXXX" for append queries
"updXXXXX" for update queries
"delXXXXX" for delete queries
"selXXXXX" for select queries

Others prefer to use a suffix instead so that queries sort by related names:

"ProductCatalogapd"
"ProductCatalogupd"
"ProductCatalogdel"
"ProductCatalogsel"

I also like to prefix obsolete queries with a "Z" so that they sort to the bottom of the list, but don't delete them until I am really sure they are no longer useful.

If you have queries that need to run in a specific sequence when called from a VBA process, I like to prefix with the number:

"1delOldRecordsFromTempTable"
"2apdNewRecordstoTempTable"

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

nuclear_nick
post Nov 4 2019, 12:15 PM
Post#5

I'm pretty much with GPG.

I use prefixes... qapp (append), qupd (update), qdel (delete), qry (select), qfrm (form source), qsfrm (sub form source), qrpt (report source), qsrpt (sub report source), z_ to put outdated queries at the bottom of the list and _ (underline) to put queries in development but not complete, so that they sort at the top of the list until complete.

Part of the reason for the form and report source naming is that the rest of the name matches the form, subform, report or subreport, so I can search for the form "Associates" and get "qfrmAssociates", "qsfrmAssociates", "qrptAssociates", and "qsrptAssociates" all right there.

So it indeed is personal preference, but at the same time, it's really handy to keep it consistant… not only to help you, but anyone else who has to work on your database in the future!

Good night, and good luck!

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

home70
post Nov 8 2019, 08:00 PM
Post#6

Thanks so much everybody! It really helps to hear what experienced people use, and why.
This post has been edited by home70: Nov 8 2019, 08:00 PM

WildBird
post Nov 11 2019, 05:07 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Agree with the sentiment, it is personal, however there are better practices than others. As long as it is consistent is the main thing, and meaningful.

I personally dont use the query type, I generally just use 'qry'. Reason being I can see the icon or I can query the type easy enough in code. Someone pointed out numbering them, this is good, however I prefix them consistently, and start numbering with 3 digits, like 'qry001DoSomething', qry002DoSomethingElse. Means you can group together on the prefix, and have multiple queries, if you are doing a migration or something, this is very useful.

Backups - obviously back up the whole database, but as for individual queries, I also just take a quick copy, and delete when I am sure I no longer need them. For my last role, I kept an audit trail of everything that was exported with the SQL string of the queries used.

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th November 2019 - 11:31 PM