UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternative To Attachment Datatype?, Access 2016    

jabm
post May 22 2020, 10:57 AM
Post#1

Hello all!
I've been posting in the "Forms" Forum, but this question seems more appropriate here.

The database I am developing is for a non-profit maternity home which only opened last year (first residents came in Nov or Dec 2019).

In my first incarnation/rough prototype of the database I had used the Access datatype "Attachment" to be able to store scanned documents pertaining to the paperwork checklists for employees, volunteers and residents (for example the NH 2202 DCYF Central Registry Name Search, or copy of State ID/Driver's licence or the confidentiality agreement). I was quickly made aware that attachments could cause the database to bloat rather quickly.

Is the hyperlink datatype a good alternative? Drawbacks? Is there a better alternative?

Thank you!

Julia

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post May 22 2020, 11:32 AM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi Julia,

If it was me, I would simply use a ShortText data type. The Hyperlink data type has some convenience but also some difficulties when using them.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

jabm
post May 22 2020, 11:39 AM
Post#3

Thanks - but would they then have to copy/paste the file path into (old term I know) File Manager instead of just clicking on the link and bringing up the document?
Hmm..

theDBguy
post May 22 2020, 11:46 AM
Post#4

UA Moderator

Hi. Not really. If no one has told you this yet, you shouldn't allow users to have direct access to tables and queries. Instead, you use Forms to interact with the data. With Forms, you have a lot of control over what the users can do. One of those would be when they click on the "file path" textbox. Each form control has a lot of Events you can use. In this case, you can use the Click event, so when the user clicks on the file path, you can have some code execute to open the file pointed to by the file path.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

jabm
post May 22 2020, 11:51 AM
Post#5

Thank you!
I am still learning!

theDBguy
post May 22 2020, 12:04 PM
Post#6

UA Moderator

Of course. That's what we're here for. Keep asking questions...

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    8th July 2020 - 04:37 PM