UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Connection Of The User Db With The Ganttchart Database, Access 2007    

Peter Hibbs
post Sep 11 2018, 01:49 PM
Post#21

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Andy,

OK, I must admit that I forgot that A2007 does not have the built-in facility to show more than three colors when using Conditional Formatting, I think that started with A2010.

Unfortunately there is no way that I know of to show more than three colors with A2007 so if you want that facility I guess the only option for you is to upgrade to a later version of Access. Sorry about that but that is how Access and Continuous type forms work, there is nothing I can do about it. What do you think you will do?

Peter.
Go to the top of the page

masa1
post Sep 12 2018, 06:07 AM
Post#22

Hi Peter,
Microsoft Office 2016 crazy.gif

Peter Hibbs
post Sep 12 2018, 03:06 PM
Post#23

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Andy,

OK, so you intend to upgrade to A2016 which should solve that problem.

So, is the color coding in the new version OK?

Do you want me to add the Project names to a new column on the chart (as previously discussed)?

Peter.

Peter Hibbs
post Sep 21 2018, 10:31 AM
Post#24

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Andy,

Are you still using the Gantt chart database demo?

I have done a little work on it (other things kept cropping up which delayed me a bit) in that I have added a new column on the left of the chart to show the Project names but there is still more to do to get it working properly. Unfortunately I have another (paying) project that I need to work on but if you still need this database I can probably get back to it in a couple of weeks time, if you are still interested.

Anyway, let me know what your situation is and what you would like to do.

Peter Hibbs.

masa1
post Sep 24 2018, 03:04 PM
Post#25

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry I did not speak.
I already have (at last) a new, official version of OFFICE 2016 ...

Your last version "2a" obviously works great, as you wrote it.

Because, as You've noticed, I'm not a programmer, it caused me some problems changing the RUNTIME application for my users.
(Different operating systems and various cellphone packages without Access)
I think RUNTIME 2010 will be the best solution.

Regarding your question ... I think my illustration shown in GanttProject clearly show what I aspire?
In short;

- many projects on one screen,

- each project has several groups,

- each group has several tasks.

Group names can be repeated in any project - hence the color of the same group name should be the same!

Similarly tasks - the same task name = the same color.

I expect this is a big challenge, but this is the only way to develop.
If you can offer something with great pleasure, I will read.

What I do in the company where I work (in the field of basics!) I do only for my own satisfaction.

Andy.

Peter Hibbs
post Sep 24 2018, 05:21 PM
Post#26

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Andy,

OK. I have made a few changes to the chart (see screen shot below) to show the Projects on the left - is this what you had in mind?

If so, and you want me to complete the changes so that the chart works correctly I would be happy to do it for you but I can't do it right now as I have another project that needs my urgent attention. If you are happy to wait a week or two I can probably finish it then, let me know what you want to do.

Peter.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Gantt_V3b.png ( 86.75K )Number of downloads: 8

masa1
post Sep 25 2018, 12:39 PM
Post#27

Hi Peter,

This version promises to be VERY interesting.

Did I understand YOUR intentions well? thanks.gif

„that’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind”

Attached File  PROJECTS.pdf ( 31.11K )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  PROJECTS_and_GROUPS.pdf ( 48.44K )Number of downloads: 11

Peter Hibbs
post Sep 25 2018, 01:07 PM
Post#28

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Andy,

Did I understand YOUR intentions well? Yes, I think so. My plan is that the Projects hide/show buttons will work the same way as the Groups hide/show buttons - that is the buttons will hide all the rows except the first row of the project or will show all the rows of the project. We need to still show one line of the project when 'hidden' so that the user has a button to click on to show all of the project although you don't have to show a group and task for the first line if you don't want to, you could just leave it blank.

Anyway, there is still a lot to do to get it working properly so all I can suggest at the moment is to keep watching this thread and I will upload a new version when I get time (it could be a while though).

Peter.

Peter Hibbs
post Oct 11 2018, 09:10 AM
Post#29

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Andy,

I have uploaded a new version of the Gantt chart database (as requested), sorry it took a while but it was more complicated to add the new features than I anticipated (see screen shot and zip file below).

I cannot guarantee that there are no bugs in it as I have not had time to test it thoroughly but let me know if you find any problems.

I suggest that you try the new version as it is and see if it does what you want. If you are happy with it, then you should delete all the projects and Compact & Repair the file (to clear out any deleted records) and also you should split the file into Front-End and Back-End files before giving your users access to the database.

Here is a quick explanation of the new features :-
The Project names appear in the first column and you can expand or collapse a project to one line with the small arrow icons in the same way as the Groups. Note that you cannot hide a project completely since you need a visible icon to expand it again should you need to.
You can add the horizontal bars by inserting dates on the Project Editor form, as before, but now you can draw the bars on the chart itself with the mouse. Just click on the Start date for the required row and drag the mouse horizontally to the required End date and release the mouse button. This will draw a colored line for the total period of the task on the chart and you can then change the color of the line, if necessary, see below. If the line needs to be outside the range of the visible date range then you would need to enter the End date manually using the Project Editor form.
You can change the Start date or End date of any line by click and dragging the start or end icon of the line along the chart.
You can also move the whole line to a different Start and End date but keep the duration the same by clicking and dragging the line with any date cell in between the Start and End date icons.
You can change the time period of an existing task by drawing a new line in a blank area of the task, in this case a pop-up form will ask if you really want to do this in case you accidentally click on a blank cell for the existing task.
You can enter the End date for the Progress bar by clicking on a colored cell for the appropriate task with the CONTROL key held down.
As before, you can click on any project name, Group name or Task name to open the Project Editor form which will then move the cursor to that task.

You can open the Project Editor form by clicking the Project Editor button which will initially show the first project on the chart (or the selected project if you click in the chart itself).
To start a new project click the Add New Project button at the bottom of the form and enter the details in the yellow fields at the top of the form (if you need more fields you could easily add them to the table (tblProjects) and the form).
Next enter the name of the first group for this project in the Group Title field and then add new tasks for this group with the Add Task button. You don't have to enter the dates at this stage as you could use the drag and drop facility described above if you want to.
At this stage you can allocate a color for the first group by clicking the Choose Colors button to open the Color Bars Selection form. You can have up to 20 different color combinations for the Progress and Maximum color bars, just click on the Record Selector button for the required colors and click the OK button. If you want to use different colors for one or more of the selections just double-click the color bar that you want to change and pick a new color in the pop-up Color Picker form but be aware that this will change that color on the chart.

If you have multiple projects and/or multiple groups you can use the form Navigation buttons at the bottpom of the forms to select a different project or group.
To change the order that the tasks appear on the chart, select a task (by clicking on it) and then click the Move Up or Move Down button on the Group Editor section.
To change the order that the projects and/or groups appear on the chart, first select the appropriate project or group and click the Set Project Order or Set Group Order button. In the form that opens, select the item to be moved in the list box and click the appropriate 'move' button.

On the main form you can also change some settings of the chart by clicking the Settings button and selecting various options on the pop-up form, these settings are stored in the table tblSettings and you could, perhaps, add other options that might be useful to the users.

There are a few extra features that I think could be added which might be useful, perhaps a second Milestone date for example. Also I think it might be easier for users to have the option to click on the Status column to insert a tick or increment the red and/or green status counters.

I also need to add the instructions to the User Manual document on how to use the database with the new features at some time, I will see how you get on first in case we need to make any more changes but I might upload a copy of the pdf file at a later date (when I get time).

Anyway, let me know how you get on with this version.

Peter.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Gantt1.png ( 102.21K )Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  Gantt_DB___Version_2b.zip ( 280.76K )Number of downloads: 17

masa1
post Oct 15 2018, 02:31 PM
Post#30

Hi Peter,
Thank you very much for the possibility to get acquainted with the new version YOUR Gantt.
Forgive YOU, this time so long you database design - of course this is my obscene joke, sorry! fundrink.gif

After the first start I saw that you did everything (well, maybe almost everything) about what I wrote.

At the moment I'm doing tests on the workstation and they are doing very well - respect!
I know that Gantt built in the database will never be like in a typical project manager ...

The first modification I am going to do is to replace the text fields group name and task name with the combo fields, because in my use these names are repeated.
I used this solution in your first version and there were no problems.
I do not think I will face any problems this time.

The next task that I intend to accomplish is to increase the number of weeks displayed. I think that 10, maybe 12 weeks will significantly improve the functionality of the chart.

I think that during the next hours of work with the chart, more ideas will arise.

Once again GREAT RESPECT for You. hat_tip.gif

For sure in a short time I will ask you again, I hope you will help me again.
Best regards.

Andy.

„that’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind”

Peter Hibbs
post Oct 15 2018, 05:16 PM
Post#31

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Andy,

OK, glad you like it.

It sounds like you are going to take on some major changes, especially the extra weeks. Just some pointers for that - the current version shows 6 weeks which is 42 days so in the VBA code you will need to change each occurrence of 42 to whatever number of days you use. Also, I don't think you will be able to make the columns for each day any narrower than they are because the width of the monospaced font (Courier New) determines the width of the horizontal bars, i.e. 2 characters per column although I guess you could use a slightly smaller font size which could give you a few more columns in the same space. The User Manual explains this in more detail.

I am interested to see how many weeks you could show on a screen, with my screen of 1920 pixels width I think I could get only about 9 weeks. Perhaps you are planning to allow horizontal scroll bars in order to get a wider screen size. If I get time I might try adding more weeks, just to see what problems it throws up but let me know how you get on with this.

Good luck,

Peter.

Mickjav
post Dec 3 2018, 09:50 AM
Post#32

Hi Peter thought I would post here what I am doing with your gantt chart
I have the old version working but still needing updating I have looked at the new virsion which will fit into what I'm trying to do very nicely thanks.gif

Although you have the projects in the sub form listing I don't want to go that way as the projects My system works with can have hundreds of entrys so will look at replacing the projects for either a combo or setting an openargs not sure which will work best at the moment plus to add to my problems my project system allows only assigned employees to view/Edit a project they are not assigned to or it will when I find a quick 3 days to get it all working lol

Image below
Attached File  2018_12_02__8_.png ( 64.76K )Number of downloads: 6

Attached File  2018_12_03.png ( 79.8K )Number of downloads: 5

Mickjav
post Dec 6 2018, 04:32 PM
Post#33

Hi Been trying to add the colours for each phase in a subform as below I keep getting an error too many conditions

I copied and editied code from the colour picker which works just fine

the fields in my form were copied from the version 2 group main.

I managed to get it working once useing the oncurrent but only for that record soon as I try creating a recordsetclone or a recordset with a query looping though I get the error as above.

Sent 5 hrs pullhair.gif

Can't see what I'm doing wrong as it works in the colour subform but wont work in mine thanks

Add a picture of what my version 1 has become as you might be able to see I've been able to update a few items to version 2
This post has been edited by Mickjav: Dec 6 2018, 04:52 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  2018_12_06__2_.png ( 115.62K )Number of downloads: 3
Attached File  2018_12_06__3_.png ( 68.19K )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  2018_12_06__4_.png ( 94.35K )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  2018_12_06__5_.png ( 58.89K )Number of downloads: 2

Mickjav
post Dec 6 2018, 05:02 PM
Post#34

just found the condtional formating under the cmd button lol
This post has been edited by Mickjav: Dec 6 2018, 05:20 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  2018_12_06__6_.png ( 84.56K )Number of downloads: 3

Peter Hibbs
post Dec 6 2018, 05:43 PM
Post#35

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Mick,

Yes, as you have discovered, if you want more than 20 colours for the horizontal lines you need to add them to the Conditional Formatting facility for the DX and DP controls.

Your forms are looking good but very complicated, hopefully your users will be able to understand them.

Peter.

Mickjav
post Dec 6 2018, 06:31 PM
Post#36

Thanks peter it's a complex project have retained the layout from old version as never had any problems with users not being able to understand it It does all flow together I've been using it for 15 years.
I have my site where I'm adding a how to for most things.

P.S. It is going to be free to use For All.
This post has been edited by Mickjav: Dec 6 2018, 06:43 PM

Mickjav
post Dec 7 2018, 01:12 PM
Post#37

I've now completed my works on upgrading my gantt chart from version 1 to 2

The [ProgressDate] Is updated from my main projects page when the end time is added it updates the [ProgressDate] for the selected phase.

Many thanks peter for such a nice tool. thanks.gif

On to next piece of the puzzle lol

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2018 - 06:14 PM