UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Form Width Max. Can It Be Extended Somehow?, Access 2016    

bowlesj
post Sep 16 2019, 08:33 AM
Post#1

Hi, In access 2016 64 bit I seem to have hit a limit in form width at what appears to be 56 on its scale. I am not going to get into all the details as to why it is this wide and what I might do to reduce the need for it to be this wide. I am pretty sure I can figure that all out on my own. In short it would be easier (less time consuming) if I could somehow add more width to the form. Like double...lol. Just kidding :-) That is pushing it. Might there be some sort of hidden parameter in access to add some width to the form limit?

Thanks,
John
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Sep 16 2019, 08:43 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Nope, it's hard limit that you can't override. You could place two forms side by side and synch them I suppose.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 16 2019, 08:45 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Unfortunately, the limits on forms (and reports for that matter) are hard. For forms, it is 22 inches, or approximately 56 centimeters.

You've piqued my interest, though. A form even that wide would have to be scrolled left and right to be usable, I would imagine. Perhaps if you put it on a very large monitor with high resolution, you might get most of it to display.

I'm not an expert on interface design, but I believe that vertical scrolling is usually preferred over horizontal scrolling in most situations.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

isladogs
post Sep 16 2019, 09:11 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Personally I would avoid using horizontal scrolling completely and if possible don't use vertical scrolling either.
Consider using a tab control with multiple pages to increase the 'effective space' available for your controls

--------------------

bowlesj
post Sep 16 2019, 09:43 AM
Post#5

Thanks guys and extra thanks for responding so fast.

Thanks for mentioning 56 centimeters GroverParkGeorge. I just put a ruler up. Now I know what the numbers mean :-)

The shortest easiest way to describe the situation is I keep coming up with new improved ideas for this program and wanting to add stuff on the detail list to either click on or view (I can't ever envision the ideas ever stopping - I wish they would). Items that are older ideas get moved off the the right out of sight for when I have more time to determine if I should remove them not just from the form but from the whole database. Others are used for certain calculations or whatever but I don't need to see them day to day or maybe at all for that matter. I have to find the time to figure out how to reprogram so they are not on the form or if this is even possible (never seem to have enough time - to ambitious).

I like your idea isladogs of having a tab control. I vaguely remember reading about this way back in 199? when I first started learning about access. I might have even tried it or maybe I saw an example somewhere (can't remember). I guess it goes at the top in the header area. I see it as valuable since I can see myself needing to scroll right eventually and this would make it much faster. I am wondering if I can see an example somewhere to visualize how I might fit this tab on the from. Currently the program needs to be able to use me.whatever to access the part of the form not currently in sight.

John
This post has been edited by bowlesj: Sep 16 2019, 09:46 AM

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 16 2019, 10:08 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

The tab control allows you to insert as many tabs as you need, each potentially containing an embedded subform if you want to do that.

Attached File  InsertTabControl.jpg ( 72.59K )Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

bowlesj
post Sep 16 2019, 10:48 AM
Post#7

Thanks GroverParkGeorge,

My existing form has a form header which is almost completely full of buttons to click and things to view and even extends out of sight a bit to the right where there are some items I very rarely use but could. Next is the detail section which the individual rows (in this case stocks). So in the detail sections there are things to view, buttons to click and textboxes to click that bring up all sorts of stuff such as menus for things to run or whatever. I have no linked subform on this form. I am asking myself this question.

Do I have to A/ create a new form with the tab then bring everything in (header stuff and detail stuff) to the first tab and put header stuff and details stuff for each record on the 2nd tab such that the detail stuff for a specific stock can actually be picked up on the 2nd tab for the current stock I selected on the first tab or B/ is there a way to drop the tab on the existing form somewhere (I can't imagine how to do this 2nd option at present - where would I put it? header area I would assume).

John

P.S. This form does some processing at times when I move from one detail row to the next such that it tidies up and the previous stock info and prepares the next stock info.
This post has been edited by bowlesj: Sep 16 2019, 10:55 AM

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 16 2019, 10:53 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

I would probably start with a clean new form simply because it's easier than trying to manipulate than what appears to be a rather significant number of existing controls.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

bowlesj
post Sep 16 2019, 10:58 AM
Post#9

Yes I was thinking that. It would also allow me to use the new form as a kind of testing ground until I really figure out how this works. If something is failing on the new form I could in the mean time go back to using the old form for day to day stock trading. This is the kind of change where I need a very large block of time. I will have to put it on my list for next summer when my musical jazz jam group I run is not busy for 3 months.
This post has been edited by bowlesj: Sep 16 2019, 10:59 AM

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th October 2019 - 06:04 AM